[ian-reeds-games] Some suggestions...

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:40:55 -0500

Hi all,
I was wondering about some suggestions I had, if they seemed plausible or
doable.

1. a number added to a dynamic flag so that it can affect a point in less then
one time a turn.
For example a normal flag in a treasure chest  would be...
 gold_end_turn_restore=5.

This is great, but you don't want to have the player sit there collecting five
gold every turn. Likewise with step, they can just step on a terrain with that
flag and gather up the gold, if that is not the intention of the map creator.
So instead how about...

gold_end_turn_restore=5|10

The vertical bar was just to seperate the solid amount from the second number.
Well the second number would be the number of turns the flag would be able to
give five gold . Either it is a limiter of how many times the gold can be
taken, or it could be a number of turns that have to pass before the flag will
restore again. Either or works.
I hope that made sense.
This would work well for land mines which should only work once, or treasure
chests which should only give out a limited amount of gold etc.

2. Points have an at_zero= flag. Would it be possible to have a at_xx= where
the X equals any number? So if someone wanted, they could put in at_23=rage, or
thinking of Craig's star wars map, at_10=deactivate. It could then affect
points going down , but could also affect points going up as well.
For example I have the borg useing adap, and it would be nice to have several
at_xx= flags for when the adap turns on an effect, instead of making several
points and skills and effects to do all that what one flag could do.
Of course, the random numbers and percentages can come in here as well, for
instance at_fifty%=

3. I have reviewed some old rpg books of mine, and I am seeing where percentage
comes into effect. For example skeletons suffer fifty percent less damage from
slashing damage, 25% chance of an effect taking place when hit with a vampiric
sword, things of that nature. I thought I would mention it becase I couldn't
think of any examples for percentages, but there is a lot more then I
remembered.