Re: [i3] Retina/HiDPI: Querying DPI

  • From: Michael Stapelberg <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alexander Berntsen <alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>, i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 13:19:31 +0200

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Berntsen <alexander@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

the next release of i3 should behave correctly on Retina/HiDPI
displays.
It isn't already? Works fine here. What's wrong? I don't understand
why i3 should care about PPI.
No, it doesn’t work correctly in 4.7.2, the latest stable version:
All pixel values, such as paddings, borders, etc., are designed for
96dpi displays and are not scaled up. E.g., for a 2 px window border,
you need 5 px on a retina display to achieve the same physical width.

I think the effect is very very easy to spot when comparing 4.7.2 with a
build from the “next” branch. Once you restart into the new version,
you’ll see how it just feels right again :).

--
Best regards,
Michael