[huskerlug] Re: modem hellp

  • From: jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:39:22 -0700

The only thing that I made sure of when doing modems in Linux is that the
modem uses a comm port that can be recognized at ttys0, ttys1... etc.
Then, when doing the upgrade, you will be prompted for the comm port the
modem is on.  ttys0 is comm 1 and the numbers go up.  Then, it will prompt
for phone number data, user name, and password.  It is very automated now.

As for a cheap modem, depends on the speed.  I have several 14400 that I
picked up for a $1 each at the computer fair in Omaha last summer.  There
were also a few 28.8 mixed in there, but I've used all those up (I think,
there may be one at the bottom of the pile).  For the more recent stuff, I
don't know.  When I was looking for a nice speed modem last summer, 56 K or
more that is not a Winmodem, the price tag went up to $70 or more.  US
Robotics is a good manufacture for making modems that work with Linux I've
found.

Just my 2.42 yen.

J.R.