[huskerlug] Re: ascii dvd

  • From: "J.R. Wessels" <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:55:29 -0600

- From looking at xine, it doesn't go to ascii ---- however! Mplayer
does work.  To run a regular file in mplayer to ascii (such as mpg or
avi), use this command line:

mplayer -vo aa -framedrop filenamehere

The "-vo aa" says use this video driver, the Ascii art library.  The
framedrop says to drop frames to sync with the sound in case your
processor isn't fast enough to do all the decoding/display.

For a dvd, it is a different order.

mplayer dvd://1 -vo aa -framedrop

The "dvd://1" says play from the dvd, title 1.  Then the rest of the
options come after that.

For installation, from rpm's it is a -serious- pain in the arse.
Especially for getting the libaries, decss, avi codecs, etc and
compiling from scatch.  Since I'm a Debian freak, there is thankfully
an apt-get source in France that has -everything- to get mplayer
working with dvd support.

For stable (woody):
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ stable main
For testing (sarge):
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ testing main
For unstable (sid):
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main

Then do:
apt-get update ; apt-get install mplayer-686

The other mplayer packages are:
mplayer-386 mplayer-k6

The repository also includes libdvdnav so you can play dvd's in xine.

On Friday 14 March 2003 20:43, you wrote:
> OK, we talked about this at the meeting.  How do you do it?

- --
J.R. Wessels
jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GnuPG fingerprint: 6F23 25BD FF92 3308 9374 4026 B5CD CE09 BC07 9BC5
Public key found on my website at http://ranko.homelinux.net