[huskerlug] Re: Windows 7 'Brain Dead Edition' (aka Starter Edition)

  • From: Charles Leslie <charles.leslie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 11:29:39 -0500

Really what would be useful is benchmarks showing that Linux is faster
on netbooks than Windows 7 will be, plus the crippleware would be a
compelling argument to switch if your software needs allow for it.
That would be a step in the right direction, rather than merely
claming that Windows 7 crippleware is crap and 'Brain Dead' so to
speak.

Unbiased data makes better for arguments, in my opinion.  If you want
to change someone's mind, you have to show them why something is
better in a positive light, not simply proclaim that what they use is
crap.

I'm pretty opinionated myself, so I can understand peoples biases. I
just think a Linux group should be more Linux discussion oriented,
rather than Windows discussion oriented.

I'm OS Agnostic, which means I tend to use the best tool/OS for the
job, which in some cases means supporting things that are unethical
because that's the real world.

If I suggested to a Linux user that his OS is crap because it doesn't
natively run AutoCAD and/or the latest 3D DirectX proprietary gaming
software, or ActiveX web enabled plugins, why would you get defensive?
These are just facts.  Personally I use Debian for firewalls and save
my company a ridiculous amount of money every year, and that's a fact.

The opinion that Microsoft has unethical practices would be more of a
discussion for a Microsoft watchdog group, not a Linux user group,
although I do find that stuff interesting, it in no way helps
discussions toward Linux. I might as well switch to Mac or BSD.  You
have to show why Linux is a better solution, with data, starting
first.

You can't just say "don't eat rotten apples because they're rotten" to
get me to eat ripe apples.  If I was on a mailing list that did
nothing but talk about how rotten someone's apples were, and never
tell me information about where to get good apples or how to use them,
I'll ignore you and switch to pears instead.  See what I mean?