[huskerlug] Re: Security Fix - Microsoft Update Quietly Installs Firefox Extension

  • From: GreyGeek <GreyGeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:35:11 -0500

adunlop wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:56 PM, GreyGeek wrote:
>

>> Big deal, you say? I can just uninstall the add-on via Firefox's handy
>> Add-ons interface, right? Not so fast. The trouble is, Microsoft has
>> disabledthe "uninstall" button on the extension. What's more,
>> Microsoft
>> tellsus that the only way to get rid of this thing is to modify the
>> Windows
>> registry[2], an exercise that -- if done imprecisely -- can cause
>> Windows
>> systems to fail to boot up.
>>

> That isn't a Microsoft deal whatsoever, it deals with how Firefox
> treats plugins and their API.  There's quite a few extensions that you
> have to manually pull out.

Whatsoever?  You'll  have to show me where the Linux registry is.

GreyGeek

“They’ll get sort of addicted, and then we’ll somehow figure out how to collect
sometime in the next decade.”

–Bill Gates

“Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage.”

–Philippe Kahn

I don't think it's any coincidence that Microsoft achieved dominance in the
American market during the same period that bottled water became omnipresent.
In both instances, clever marketing convinced the general public that something
that was clean, safe and free was inferior to a product encased in plastic.