[huskerlug] Re: Redhat to leave the desktop...

  • From: cdelgad2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:52:53 -0600 (CST)

Quoting GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Monday 03 November 2003 1:04 pm, you wrote:
> > I got this in my email today.....  For those of use that
> > use RH, it's sad... The 2nd paragraph explains that they
> > are moving over to only their enterprise stuff.
> >
> > -- quote ----
> >
> > This e-mail provides you with important information about
> > the upcoming discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and
> > resources to assist you with your migration to another Red
> > Hat solution.
> >
> > As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue
> > maintenance and errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2,
> > 7.3 and 8.0 as of December 31, 2003. Red Hat will
> > discontinue maintenance and errata support for Red Hat
> > Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to
> > release another product in the Red Hat Linux line.
> >
> > With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> > v.3, you'll find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing.=20
> > We understand that transitioning to another Red Hat
> > solution requires careful planning and implementation.  We
> > have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
> > customers to help make the transition as simple and
> > seamless as possible. Details:
> >
> > ****************
> > If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic
> > before February 28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the
> > price for two years.[*] (That's two years for the price of
> > one.)
> >
> > ****************
> > In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration
> > Resource Center to address your migration planning and
> > other questions, such as:
> >
> > * What are best practices for implementing the migration
> > to Red Hat Enterprise Linux?
> >
> > * Are there other migration alternatives?
> >
> > * How do I purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES
> > Basic at the price above?
> >
> > * What if my paid subscription to RHN extends past April
> > 30, 2004?
> >
> > ****************
> >
> > Find out more about your migration options with product
> > comparisons, whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat
> > Linux Migration Resource Center:
> >
> >   http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
> >

> > Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network
> > customers:
> >
> >   https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Red Hat, Inc.
> >

> > [*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries
> > should contact a regional Red Hat sales representative.
> > Contact numbers available at
> > http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
> >
> > --the Red Hat Network Team
> >
> > -- end quote --
> >
> > It's sad really.
> >
> > -Cesar Delgado
> > Research Computing Facility @ UNL
> > http://rcf.unl.edu
> > cdelgad2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, beettlle@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Cesar, what do you think of their 'Fedora' effort?
> =2D-=20
> =2D=20
> [...]

I was wondering what RH was trying to do when they released all that stuff to
Fedora and were advertising Fedora.  I thought it was good will....  Well, I
guess it is sorta' good will.  I mean, they released it because they had decided
that they didn't care and instead of leting it die they gave some other people
the chance to keep it alive.

I haven't tried Fedora, I have no knoledge about it but if it's like RH I'm sure
it's rock solid.  Right now I'm happy with my little laptop running OS X, but,
from now on, I think Gentoo will suit my needs....

My $0.02,

-Cesar Delgado