[huskerlug] Re: Redhat 9

  • From: Cesar Delgado <cdelgad2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 25 Mar 2003 17:21:02 -0600

After reading about RH9.0 on Slashdot and then seeing people post on the
mailing list about the up coming release I decided to take a look at
this new RH9.  Although RH9 has not been released, there is Phoebe and,
more recently Phoebe-3.  These are the BETA releases that will soon be
turned in to RH9.  It's a 3 CD download from your friendly kernel.org
site. (actually it's 5 CD total, but the last 2 are SRC RPMs and I don't
care about them right now)

The first thing that caught my attention was the install went by without
a hitch.  And it's kinda' cool because RH probably hasn't settled on
what they want to show on the installer, so they added random pictures
taken by RH staff.  Nice personal touch, ;).

The install is a little different from RH8.0.  When you install you
don't create any users, just the root password.  Once the install is
done and you reboot, you get the secondary install menu in which you
create users, set the date and time, etc.  I like this because if you
setup a Linux box for someone else, you setup a standard profile and
then the real user can set up everything else once they reboot the
machine.

For those of us who don't have a problem with Bluecurve, it's still
here.  Hasn't changed much except now it's a little more gray than blue
for the standard color.  All in all I am happy with it. (I'm writing
this email from the Phoebe-3 computer running my Orinoco wireless card
which I configured with no problem)

Many people have been flaming over RH's numbering scheme.  Some are
screaming @ the top of their lungs that RH is just raising the number to
get to the same place as Slackware and Mandrake.  My opinion, not true @
all.  RH's numbering strategy goes with binary compatibility.  If you
can't run stuff from the up-coming version on the one that came before
it, then it's time to bump up the number.  So what is so big in this
release that makes it incompatible with RH8.0?  The new glibc.  This new
implementation has the new POSIX thread implementation.  This needed a
whole lot of reworking and kernel hacking to get this to work.  But the
new thread implementation is amazing.  I've run a couple of tests on
this machine and I have been more thank satisfied.  There is also
rumors, but no in the RH RELEASE documentation about this release
containing the O(1) scheduler.  One thing I know is RH8.0 felt like a
heavy horse moving in deep mud.  It was SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
Phoebe-3 on the other hand is quite responsive.  It is also running he
2.4.20 kernel(RH8.0 ran variations on the 2.4.18).

Compared to RH8.0 I do believe RH9 will be better.  It just acts better
with me as a user by being more responsive.  Still no MP3 player, =(.
But I'm guessing as soon as the release is out there will be an RPM to
fix that.  I give it 2 thumbs up, =).

If you want more info on Phoebe-3 check out the RELEASE-NOTES
(http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/beta/phoebe-3/en/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES.html).

--
Cesar Delgado <cdelgad2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Research Computing Facility