[huskerlug] Re: Microsoft wins again...(LONG)

  • From: Carl Lundstedt <clundst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 06 Sep 2002 15:20:18 -0400

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 15:07, J.R. Wessels wrote:

> So much for that resolution by ASUN to look at open source alternatives.  I
> bet it didn't even enter the discussions.
I thought the exact same thing.  Thanks for fightin' for us ASUN.

:(

Of course John (Russ) is correct, the U had little choice (i.e. it is a
no brainer).  But that's the problem, ain't it?

Last year UNL signed a deal to license all the computers on campus so
they could run Win and Office 2000, or rather, M$ wouldn't investigate
to see if all licenses were current.If I went to your house and said "I
think you stole my stereo, give me $10 or I'll call the cops to search
your home." They'd call it extortion.  When Microsoft does it, it's
called a licensing agreement.

It's too bad we couldn't have showed up at the meeting and agreed to
supply the U with copies of RedHat Linux and OpenOffice for $15.  Our $$
problems would have been over.  Heck, we'd have cut them a deal, RH or
Mandrake + OpenOffice for $12.  That's 20% off!

You'd think the U, as a government agency would have HAD to take the
lowest bid...
Carl Lundstedt