[huskerlug] Re: Interesting and on-topic message for May #2

  • From: adunlop <techworld.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:44:25 -0500

Okay, I don't care.  I work in IT.  I work with Microsoft products.  I
cut my teeth on consoles before most people used them.  I've been
around the scene just as long as you have.  I've done just as much as
you have.  Microsoft isn't a bad company.  Their products aren't the
devil.  I don't care why you think that Microsoft caused AIDS and
kills babies and is going to kill us all.  It's annoying to read the
same rants over and over and over and over again.  I'm done replying
to you about this nonsense accordingly.

This is how your comments read.  Make sure you skim through there for
a bit to really suck the absurdity of it in.

http://tinyurl.com/cwjdzy

Ron Paul supporters get into huddles where they all think the same
thing and then start shouting it as loudly as they can to anyone that
will listen.  Then keep going.  For months.  People get turned off to
the concept because they're sick of hearing it.  And it gets louder.
People ridicule the Ron Paul supporters so.... they get louder and
angrier.  "...Full of sound and fury...."

The rest of the world, of course, isn't part of that huddle.  At first
they give it thought, but it turns annoying quickly and soon after
it's entirely rejected and laughed at.    The end result is that
anyone that potentially would have been interested is so turned off
they flock to any alternative there is and have a huge negative
emotional view of your message/product.  That product in this case is
Linux.

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, you're broadcasting a
message that turns people away from Linux on a mailing list that
represents Lincoln as a technically savvy city and Linux as a whole.
That turns people off to this entire mailing list and linux as well.
Why would I want to let someone with an axe to grind derail all of the
progress Linux has made?  Why would I want to see the city of Lincoln
be painted in even a more hickish light?  Our city is poised on the
verge of really breaking into the technical scene in a big way.  I
really don't want to see that happen.

Perhaps I'm the only feeling this way.  Other members here, what are
your thoughts?  Would you like the negative FUD to stop as well?

Aaron