[huskerlug] Re: DenverPost.com - "Hi, I'm a Mac. I am way cool."

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:14:41 -0600

Jim Worrest wrote:
> [snip]
>       Pascal, still looks like a more sensible way to program than and type
> of C,
> C++, C#, etc. They're are other programming languages out there. ;-)   Merry
> Christmas and Happy New Year.   ---Jim

I learned to program using Fortran 64 in graduate school in 1968, but
didn't program again until I bought an AppleII+ in 1978.  On it I
learned Apple BASIC, Prolog, Forth and Pascal.   I really fell in love
with Pascal.  When I switched to PCs in 1983 I used Turbo Pascal 3.02A
as the first language used in my consulting business.  TP3.02A was
everything USCD Pascal tried to be.

But, with the advent of GUI interfaces Borland did't continue with TP
but switched to C++ For Windows.  I tried version 1.5, IIRC, but it took
1,500 lines to write a "Hello" program, and there just wasn't any way I
could be competitive with it, so I switched to Visual Basic 3.0, then
PowerBuilder, then Visual FoxPro, which I've used for the last 10 years.

A couple of years ago we decided to leave our dependence on Microsoft's
development tools and go to platform independent development tools.   A
search for quality tools of that nature brought me to QT and C++.   For
over a year now, C++ has been my new love.   On Windows I use MSVS2003
but on Linux I use Kate.   Kate is MUCH more reliable than
MSVC/Windows.   EVERYTIME the IT support staff rolls out a new security
or patch upgrade something almost always BREAKS.   The last Tuesday
patch day broke MSVS/Qt and I've been unable to get it to compile.
Luckily, I've been able to continue my development using Linux and Kate
without a single problem, so when the problems on the Window side are
resolved I'll be able to copy my source to WIndows and continue
working.  (Why am I working in Windows?  Because most of our
workstations still use Windows.)