[huskerlug] Re: Dell and Linux

  • From: Patrick <pberry26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 06:52:41 -0700 (PDT)

Funny that I know of 'few to none' of the Linux
distros that do NOT work on Dells, as I have a dozen
here, more dozens at the 3 Saints Thrift, and visit
the big chains, testing LiveCDroms in their demo
units, weekly!

Dell picked a popular model, and as long as their
hardware runs on one GNU/Linux distro, then I know it
can't be impossible to make others run.  But, in fact,
I have yet to find a distro that does NOT run!

I also visit my local http://cheaptronicsdepot.com
store, one of about 500 nationwide, that refurbish
Dells, and sell them with warranties, cheap!

I make sure they test the latest distros of Linux, so
I know it works!  They are enthused about Linux, as
more customers are students at FullSail school of
Graphic and Multimedia Design, where Linux and Unix
are the uncrashable solution in the design or
recording studios!

All movies from Hollywood's major studios, made since
"Titanic - 1997", use Linux clusters to render
backgrounds and special effects!

Kde can be easily popped over Gnome in Ubuntu,

--- Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Perhaps one can get them to put on Kbuntu rather
> then Ubuntu? Yes, I read the
> same material, about KDE having a smaller footprint
> and running faster.
> snipped off in the interest of bit saving, please
read the thread...

--
P. Berry, USAF (Retired) http://www.af.mil  Linux User #65411
http://lugww.counter.li.org  http://knopper.net/knoppix http://distrowatch.com