[huskerlug] Coming Soon, Book: FreeBSD Basics

  • From: Patrick <pberry26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 05:20:31 -0700 (PDT)

On the freebsd-questions mailing list, Dru Lavigne
just informed me that
she's soon to have another* BSD book published.  This
one will be titled
FreeBSD Basics, published by Reed Media.  It looks
like it's going to be
an excellent foundational text for people getting into
FreeBSD, and will
hopefully be worthy of inclusion along with the
FreeBSD Handbook, The
Complete FreeBSD, and BSD Hacks, in the list of best
books for FreeBSD
users (in my opinion, anyway).  One might also include
A Practical Guide
to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming in
that list, if one
is willing to overlook that pesky word "Linux" in the
title -- it's more
of a general-purpose command-line guide to free
unices, and one of my
favorite technical books.

In any case, I figured this list's members might be
interested in the
imminent publication of a new Dru Lavigne book about
FreeBSD.  More
information can be found here:
  http://reedmedia.net/books/freebsd-basics/

(* When I say "another", I refer of course to the fact
that she was the
author of the O'Reilly pitchfork book, BSD Hacks,
mentioned above in the
main body of this email.)