[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter - Think Small

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:12:26 -0700

                      THINK SMALL

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN     ?  online newsletter  ?
Vol. 8  Issue 04

  If you read my last missive, you know I have been
  working recently to understand crosstalk in BGA
  packages (www.sigcon.com/Pubs/news/v8_03). This work
  led me to some new experiments involving a ? guess
  what ? gigantic scale model of a BGA package. The
  model incorporates 100 balls, spaced on a pitch of 2-
  1/4 inches (scale factor 57:1). Crosstalk
  measurements taken from this model correspond
  perfectly to the crosstalk actually accrued in the
  spaces between the BGA balls underneath a realistic
  BGA package.

  The most excellent part of this model is that you
  can easily change the assignment of ground balls in
  the model package. This lets you instantly try out
  various ground pin assignments, to study the
  relationship of crosstalk to BGA ground ball
  assignment.

  I will publish the results of my measurements in the
  form of tech online webcast, open to all viewers.
  Here is the registration link:
  http://seminar2.techonline.com/s/xilinx_jun0705

   Greenwich Mean Time Tue, Jun 07, 2005 18:00
   Eastern Daylight Time  Tue, Jun 07, 2005 02:00 PM
   Pacific Daylight Time Tue, Jun 07, 2005 11:00 AM

  This broadcast is part of a series of talks
  sponsored by Xilinx. Here is a link to other
  broadcasts I have conducted for this series:
  http://www.xilinx.com/products/virtex4/advantage/sipi.htm

  This month's article, Think Small, addresses in a
  general way the topic of physically scaling a BGA
  package.

THINK SMALL

  If you want to go fast, think small.

  The three-dimensional rule for physical scaling of
  electrical connections immutably controls the
  performance of connectors, packages, component
  bodies, vias, and many other common structures on a
  printed circuit board. Technically, it applies to
  any lossless physical structure, meaning any
  structure that does not lose power due to resistive
  losses, dielectric losses, or radiation losses in
  any appreciable way.

  For example, a BGA ball, while it may create a
  signal reflection or create some crosstalk, does not
  lose any power. The power you put into the structure
  propagates through the circuit (S21), reflects back
  to the source (S11), or goes into an adjacent
  circuit (crosstalk). There may be a miniscule
  resistive loss, but if the ball is used as a signal
  via that loss is small enough to simply ignore. Such
  a structure qualifies as perfectly lossless for the
  purpose of applying the 3-D rule of scaling.

  Quoting from my book, High-Speed Signal Propagation,
  "When you change the physical dimensions of a
  distributed circuit, modifying all geometrical
  dimensions x, y, and z by a common factor k, without
  changing either the electric permittivity or the
  magnetic permeability, you find that all inductances
  change by a factor of k and all capacitances change
  by the same factor.

  "If the circuit is passive and lossless (that is,
  composed only of inductive and capacitive effects,
  with no resistances) it will have been scaled in
  time, whereby the new circuit should behave the same
  as the old circuit, only its step response stretched
  (or compressed) in time by the factor k. A network-
  analyzer plot of the new system will show the same
  frequency response as the old, only shifted in
  frequency by a factor of 1/k. A resonance at
  frequency f in the original circuit appears at
  frequency f/k in the new circuit. As a consequence,
  physically enlarging a system of physical conductors
  lowers its resonant frequencies, while shrinking the
  system physically raises them.

  "The rule of physical scaling applies well to low-
  loss conducting structures like metal plates,
  conducting wires, connector pins, and semiconductor
  packages. This rule is valid over any range of
  physical scales for which useful conducting objects
  may be constructed. It breaks down for certain
  structures near the atomic level, for which the
  conducting surfaces cannot be scaled due to the
  inherent quantization of atomic matter. As far
  physicists know, this law applies to structures of
  galactic dimensions, although such structures have
  not been tested to verify conformance with the
  rule."

  In the simplest terms, large objects have low
  resonant frequencies, and small objects have higher
  ones. This simple rule of scaling explains why a
  flip-chip package is better than a surface mounted
  package, why a surface-mount package is better than
  a DIP, and (going even further back in time) a DIP
  package is better than a miniature 9-pin tube
  socket. Tiny dimensions push the parasitic
  resonances up to frequencies above the bandwidth of
  your signal, resulting in a perfectly flat frequency
  response across the band that matters. When you want
  to go fast, small is good.

  OK, now let's apply this rule to something like a
  BGA package. A package with 0.8 mm ball pitch has a
  smaller form factor than a 1-mm pitch, and so should
  work better at higher frequencies, right? Well, at
  this point I must remind you that all three physical
  dimensions, x, y, and z are involved in the scaling
  process. Shrinking x and y is good, but not if it
  comes at the expense of increasing the overall
  height z. Yet, that is what often happens with
  reduced form-factor BGA arrays. If you can, for
  example, accomplish double-track routing with the
  larger form-factor ball layout but only single-track
  routing with the smaller form factor, it may
  actually take more layers to completely route your
  design, thus adding to z. Since most crosstalk and
  reflection problems scale in proportion to z (total
  sum of BGA height plus board thickness), things that
  make the board thicker are generally bad ideas.

Best Regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

  Dr. Johnson will be presenting both his seminars at
  Oxford University in the U.K. the week of June 21st,
  2005, as part of a comprehensive week-long training
  series:
  http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/cpd/electronics/courses/digital_design_week.asp

  Questions & Comments: all students who attend our
  High-Speed Digital Design seminars have the
  opportunity to talk directly with Dr. Johnson about
  signal integrity issues.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2005, Signal Consulting, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.