[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter Jitter and SNR Combined

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:25:26 -0800

                JITTER AND SNR COMBINED

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN     --  online newsletter  --
Vol. 7  Issue 06

  The first nip of cold weather has arrived at our
  house. My wife and I have started harvesting
  firewood from our Aspen groves. Last week we sawed
  up a few big trunks for our neighbors, who have
  gotten too old to chop their own. Old timers in this
  area tell us that wood "warms you twice -- once in
  the cutting and once in the burning."

  A lot is happening at Signal Consulting right now
  as well.  This spring will mark our 10-year anniversary
  of teaching high-speed design seminars in the U.S.
  It has been my pleasure to work with, and learn from,
  the thousands of engineers who've taken my classes over
  the years.

  I am also pleased to announce my newest venture, SiLab
  Films.  Though SiLabs (for Signal Integrity Labs), I
  am creating a series of DVD-format films, each focusing
  on a specific signal integrity topic.  The first five
  DVDs are available now.

  Please refer to the end of this newsletter for more
  information on all our latest activities.

JITTER AND SNR COMBINED

Doron Levy of Motorola writes regarding high-speed
serial links:

  Do you have any idea how to convert Jitter to SNR?

Dr. Johnson replies:

  Thanks for your interest in High-Speed Digital
  Design.

  Regarding your inquiry, Doron, you have asked a
  complicated question. I may not be able to provide a
  complete answer in this brief email, but I will
  endeavor to point you in the right direction.

  First, a definition appropriate for serial digital
  connections:

       SNR (in this discussion) is the ratio of
        the sampling error to the ideal signal
       size, where sampling error is defined as
           the difference between the actual
           sampled value and the ideal value
          expected at the moment of clocking.

  Now let's do two examples. First, imagine you have a
  perfectly square-edged signal, with flat, noiseless
  logic levels of exactly one and zero. If perfectly
  sampled in the center of each bit cell this signal
  is totally noiseless, with an infinite SNR. Now add
  random jitter to each transition. If you add an
  amount of jitter that NEVER EXCEEDS say, one-fourth
  of the bit interval, and further presuming that this
  jitter does not unduly affect recovery of the
  sampling clock, then the data sampled during each
  bit cell should still exhibit zero noise (infinite
  SNR).  This example shows that sometimes, depending
  on the shape of the signal and so forth, jitter has
  NO IMPACT on SNR.

  In the second example, jitter will have a distinct
  impact on SNR. Let the signal now have finite rise
  and fall times, with durations comparable to one bit
  interval. This arrangement creates a classic eye
  pattern diagram, with a lot of fuzz (intersymbol
  interference) at the top and bottom of the eye. In
  this case, if you add jitter to one particular bit
  cell boundary, and assuming that action displaces
  horizontally the entire form of that particular
  rising or falling edge, then the vertical
  displacement of the waveform at the sampling
  location will be related to the slope (dV/dT) of the
  received waveform at the time of sampling and also
  the amplitude of the jitter (dT).

  Because the maximum slopes in the eye pattern
  waveform occur off-center, near the edges of the eye
  pattern, those locations harbor the greatest
  relation between jitter and SNR. Examining then at
  the edge of the eye pattern, corresponding to the
  maximum degree of misalignment you expect in your
  recovered clock, it is tempting to power-sum the
  noise due to ISI, jitter, and other sources to
  arrive at some overall SNR figure that represents
  the true operational margin of your system. I should
  caution you that this approach is rarely fruitful.
  One reason power summing does not work is because
  the slope of the received waveform is not constant.
  Therefore, one can not extrapolate from the small
  amounts of jitter that commonly occur the
  probability of rare, large noise events unless you
  can specify the complete joint probability of
  occurrence of all factors in the equations, and the
  shape of the received waveform.

  I don't know about you, but I would rather not
  consider of the joint probability of occurrence of
  vertical noise and horizontal jitter in the same
  equation. The usual approach to estimating system
  performance separates these two terms, ensuring that
  each term individually remains sufficiently small to
  guarantee reliable operation when added together.
  The result is a "conservative" estimate of
  performance (but it isn't conservative by very much,
  so I think it is the best way to go). The procedure
  works like this:

     (1) Generate an engineering budget that
     establishes some limitation on the worst-case
     peak value of expected jitter, taken over an
     internal of some large number of bits (perhaps
     ten-to-the-fifteenth).

     (2) Estimate how far your recovered clock is
     likely to wander, based on the various offset
     voltages present in the phase detector, etc.,

     (3) Third, add the worst-case peak jitter and the
     recovered clock offset together. This number
     tells you how far "apparent" clock might stray
     from the ideal location on any individual data
     cell. Call this number the worst-case clock
     offset.

     (4) Based on the simulated shape of your received
     waveform, determine the degradation in received
     signal amplitude at worst-case clock offset.

     (5) Subtract from your degraded signal amplitude
     the amplitude of all other noise sources (on a
     ten-to-the-fifteenth BER basis) and demonstrate
     that the resulting signal still exceeds the
     minimum receiver sensitivity.

  This basic procedure has been used in the
  development of many popular LAN standards. It has
  stood up to scrutiny by literally hundreds of
  engineers, and I believe it will serve you quite
  well.

  As a final note regarding the estimation of worst-
  case jitter, I should like to point you to this
  article:

  www.sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/RandomJitter.htm

Best Regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

2005 PUBLIC SEMINARS

  Join us for our Spring 2005 public seminars in
  Boston, MA (March 7-11), Austin, TX (April 11-15)
  and University of Oxford (June 20-24).  A full
  seminar schedule can be found at:

  www.sigcon.com

  Special note to my readers in Europe:  in addition
  to our regularly-scheduled appearance in Oxford in
  June, we are also beginning to plan a second public
  presentation of our classes in Italy in June or July.
  In particular, this location will be more convenient
  for the many engineers from Israel who?ve been so
  kind to write to us and request classes over the years.
  If you or any of your colleagues would like more
  information about the Italy class in the summer of
  2005, please contact us at info03@xxxxxxxxxxx

SILAB FILM SERIES

  SiLabs has produced three titles that are available
  through Signal Consulting.  For a full description of
  these titles, including pricing and order information, visit:

  www.sigcon.com/SiLab/filmsNow.htm

  In addition, we have produced two films with Xilinx
  Corp., which focus on issues relevant to the layout
  of their new high-speed RocketIO transceivers.  Those
  films are available from Xilinx?s On-line Store at:

  www.xilinx.com

2005 PRIVATE SEMINARS

  During 2005, we will be teaching our "Advanced High-Speed
  Signal Propagation" seminar on-site for many of the
  same clients who?ve hosted "High-Speed Digital Design"
  during the past 10 years.  If your company is interested
  in hosting either of these classes in a private venue,
  for groups of 25 or more, please contact Gene
  at info03@xxxxxxxxxxx

If  you  have an idea that would make a  good  topic for
a   future  newsletter,  please  send  it to hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to this list send an email to
hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field.

hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2003, Signal Consulting, Inc.