[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter - Double Tracking v7_04

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:55:15 -0700

                    DOUBLE TRACKING

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN     - online newsletter  -
Vol. 7  Issue 05

  Some of you know that I live way out in the country
  in the rural eastern portion of Washington State,
  high in the Cascade mountains, in a dry, sunny
  region called the Methow Valley. I occasionally get
  questions about what it is like to live so far from
  the big city, away from the hustle and bustle of
  daily city life. In response to those questions, I
  have attached at the end of this letter a brief
  story about what happened one day here at our ranch
  in the town of Twisp, Washington.

  Thanks to everyone who has inquired about our upcoming
  "High-Speed Digital Engineering Week" in San Jose,
  October 4-8.   I encourage you and your colleagues
  to check this out.  It will be a terrific week of
  classes, panel discussions and vendor demonstrations.
  See: http://www.sigcon.com/seminars/HSDEW.htm

DOUBLE TRACKING

  Let's begin this discussion looking at the belt-and-
  suspenders, super-safe differential stripline
  architecture. The application I have in mind is a
  backplane, using ZD-style backplane connectors. The
  backplane runs horizontally (as in a standard rack-
  mounted application), and has about ten connectors.

  Figure 1 shows a partial layout for one connector in
  plan view (pictures available at
  www.sigcon.com/Pubs/news/7_05.htm ). This snippet of
  the layout shows 9 wafers, each holding four
  differential pairs. At the bottom, I show the
  G  S+S-G  pin configuration, indicating that the
  differential pairs (S+S-) are separated by ground
  pins (G). The traces draw proceed to the right,
  headed toward the next connector.

     Figure 1- This 9-wafer ZD-style backplane
     connector layout accommodates 36 differential
     pairs, four pairs per wafer (figure courtesy of
     ERNI GmbH).

  Some engineers would call this a four-row connector,
  because it holds four pairs in each column. Others
  might call it an eight-row connector, because it has
  eight signal connections, or perhaps a 13-row
  connector, because that is the number of pins in
  each column (including grounds). When you order
  connectors, make sure you and your vendor are using
  the same terminology. Also, note that in this
  drawing each column, or wafer, extends horizontally
  while rows extend vertically (strange, but that's
  the convention). In the clearest terms, this layout
  supports four pairs per wafer and shows 9 wafers.

  I would like to produce an escape pattern that
  routes all four differential pairs away from the
  connector using only two signal layers. I call this
  a double-track differential escape pattern, because
  it provides escape paths for two differential pairs
  (four wires total) between each wafer. If I can
  accomplish the double-track escape, I can escape the
  whole connector (in one direction) using only two
  signal layers. The entire backplane will of course
  require many more than just two signal layers,
  because it must allow some signals to pass through
  my connector without touching it, and also account
  for the crossing of signals at intermediate
  locations.

  One possible double-track escape pattern appears in
  Figure 2. The figure shows a cross-section view of
  the layer stack. The connector's signal-pin vias
  appear on either side (only partially visible, in
  yellow). The solid planes above and below represent
  the minimum width of the web of continuous reference
  plane material existing between the columns of
  signal pin vias.

     Figure 2- (Cross-section view of layer stack) This
     double-track (two pair) routing scheme passes two
     differential pairs between each column (wafer) of
     connector pins.

  This pattern uses a 6-6-6 differential pair
  configuration. That notation indicates an edge-
  coupled differential pair comprising a 6-mil trace,
  with a 6-mil space, followed by another 6-mil trace.
  In this drawing, possible locations for the
  connector-pin signal pads are indicated in light
  blue. Some of the signal pads may be missing,
  however, we must still provide a 6-mil minimum
  clearance for our traces in case those pads are
  present.

  The available space between the blue pads is 57 mils
  wide. I have filled that space with two differential
  pairs (red), observing the 6-mil requirement on both
  sides, and leaving a 9-mil gap between pairs. The
  vertical space required to produce a 100-ohm
  differential impedance with this configuration
  equals 16 mils above and below the traces, for a
  total thickness of 32 mils.

  The near-end-crosstalk coefficient (NEXT) for this
  configuration is 0.031, or about three percent
  crosstalk pair-to-pair. Keep in mind that the total
  delay of the coupled portion of these pairs will be
  on the order of 127 ps (in FR-4). Any edges faster
  than 127 ps will generate fully developed NEXT
  waveforms of three percent. You will probably also
  encounter additional crosstalk from various other
  connector pads along the way, since they approach so
  close to the traces. If amount of crosstalk from
  this layout seems OK for your design, this is not a
  bad way to go. The layout is simple and uses few
  layers.

  The systems I have worked on recently cannot
  tolerate three percent crosstalk. If you are working
  on a serial backplane, you probably cannot tolerate
  that much, either. Consider that one pair, threading
  through ten connectors in a row, picks up three
  percent crosstalk underneath each connector it
  traverses. Those crosstalk numbers can add up
  quickly.

  So, let's try a different layout. Figure 3 gives up
  on the double-track idea. Each signal routing layer
  places only one signal pair between the wafers. This
  is a bulletproof design, with great appeal.
  Crosstalk from pair to pair will be (as far as we
  digital folks are concerned) non-existent. An analog
  guru might be able to measure the crosstalk leaking
  through the connector via holes in the reference
  plane, but not me. This design works. Notice that we
  did not have to quite double the board thickness to
  do it. The double-track design used very tightly
  coupled pairs, thus requiring either incredibly
  tiny, thin traces or a generous spacing between the
  planes. This single-track design accommodates a more
  widely spaced pair. This 6-8-6 layout is less
  heavily coupled, and thus for the same trace width
  can make do with more tightly spaced planes. The
  plane spacing here is 10 mils above and below. Both
  designs produce a differential impedance of about
  100 ohms.

     Figure 3- This single-track (one pair) routing
     scheme passes only one pair between each column
     of connector pins. Crosstalk is practically non-
     existent.

  If you saw my previous newsletter
  (www.sigcon.com/Pubs/news/7_04.htm, "Squeeze Your
  Layer Stack") you know that I like thin backplanes.
  Keeping the 6-8-6  trace configuration fixed, you
  can slim down the layer stack in Figure 3 by
  deleting every other solid ground layer. That
  deletion raises the impedance of the differential
  pairs. Jamming the solid planes closer together then
  brings the impedance back down to 100 ohms.

  This change still leaves at least one good, solid
  return path underneath every differential pair, and
  it really slims down the board, but there is a
  hitch: the crosstalk re-appears. The design in
  Figure 4 shows the numbers. With the center ground
  plane missing, you get a total thickness of 30 mils
  (as opposed to 40 from last time), but the crosstalk
  pops right back up to +3.3 percent, assuming the
  differential orientation as drawn. Darn. It didn't
  help (yet).

     Figure 4- This routing scheme uses fewer layers,
     and is more vertically compact, than the single-
     track approach. Crosstalk (NEXT) is 3.3% pair-to-
     pair.

  To fix the crosstalk problem you might try
  offsetting the pairs from each other. Figure 5 shows
  the result. The horizontal offset is 25 mils, the
  most we can have while still meeting our 6-mil
  clearance requirement on each side. The NEXT
  crosstalk, pair-to-pair, falls to only -1.1 percent,
  a better value, but perhaps still not good enough. I
  want it even lower. What can I do?

     Figure 5- Setting the offset to x=25 mils, the
     maximum available in this layout, reduces the
     crosstalk (NEXT) to a level of -1.1 percent pair-
     to-pair.

  Reviewing the numbers from Figures diagrams 4 and 5
  closely, I see that the crosstalk in Figure 4 is
  positive, while that in Figure 5 is negative. This
  happens because in Figure 4 the traces line up + to
  + and - to -, so you of course get a positive NEXT
  coefficient. In Figure 5 we have offset the traces
  so severely that now the + and - traces line up most
  closely, generating a negative NEXT coefficient. As
  we slide the traces from the Figure-4 position to
  the Figure-5 position, nature behaving in a
  continuous manner, shouldn't we at some point obtain
  a NEXT coefficient of zero?

  Surprisingly, that is exactly what happens. There
  exists a natural null in the pair-to-pair crosstalk
  for pairs on adjacent layers, but it only happens if
  you choose precisely the right offset. Figure 6
  shows the position of that null. This solution was
  obtained empirically, using HyperLynx LineSim V7.
  The plot of NEXT crosstalk versus offset in Figure 7
  shows that the null is fairly well behaved (i.e., it
  is not a narrow, deep notch). A layer-to-layer
  offset tolerance of 0.001 in. should allow you to
  reliably contain the pair-to-pair crosstalk to a
  value below 0.003. In my opinion, that's good
  enough. The net result is a board 25% thinner than
  Figure 3, using 25% fewer layers.

     Figure 6- The crosstalk (NEXT) varies as a
     function of the pair-to-pair offset, x. The
     particular offset drawn in this geometry produces
     zero crosstalk.

  This null reminds me a similar effect used in some
  German LAN cables. These cables (popular in the
  10BASE-T era) contained four wires, held in a rigid
  "X" profile (one wire at each tip of the X).
  Labeling the wires clockwise as RED, YELLOW, GREEN,
  and BLACK, you wired opposing wires into pairs (RED
  and GREEN, or YELLOW and BLACK), to make up a 10BASE-
  T Ethernet cable. Because the wires were held in a
  rigid exact (and highly symmetrical) position they
  existed in a kind of crosstalk null much like the
  one produced in Figure 6.

     Figure 7- Near-end crosstalk (NEXT) between two
     differential pairs implemented on adjacent layers
     passes through zero as it goes from positive (on
     the left side of the figure, representing traces
     piled right on top of each other) to negative (on
     the right side, representing widely spaced
     pairs).

  Questions & Comments: all students who attend the
  upcoming High-Speed Digital Engineering Week
  seminars have the opportunity to talk directly with
  a variety of experts about all aspects of signal
  integrity and high-speed system performance. We'll
  have independent experts there available to answer
  your questions about system design, high-frequency
  problems, EMC, measurements, noise, system design
  and simulation workflow.

  The original High-Speed Digital Engineering Week
  event held at the University of Oxford last June
  produced comments like these:
  A very good exchange of ideas. I've learned a
      lot...,
  [The session] -Covered a good range of issues.
      Good to hear different viewpoints..,
  [The session was] -Informative and useful. It was
      good to hear other peoples' "real" issues and
      their solutions..,
  Very useful to see a variety of opinions on how
      to solve various problems.

  Ninety seven percent of the attendees said they
  would recommend it to their colleagues.

  You can attend the High-Speed Digital Engineering
  Week panel discussion session at our upcoming
  seminar in San Jose, Oct. 4-8, 2004.
  http://www.sigcon.com/seminars/HSDEW.htm

  Personal log,   dog-date: "First Day of School"

  Val chose the first day of the new school season to
  teach herself an important lesson. Val is a healthy,
  vigorous, four-year old Australian Shepard. A
  swirling mass of brown, black and white fur, this
  breed of dog relishes the outdoor life; constantly
  zipping between the barn, house, and the water hole.
  If something moves within the visible horizon, she
  and her twin sister Blackie are right on top of the
  action.

  When I'm packing my truck for a day's outing in the
  pastures, Val always appears, like a genie, smiling
  and panting, in the bed of the pickup. How she
  vaults over the side of the vehicle I will never
  know, as it happens too quickly to observe with
  human eyes.

  On this particular morning, Val and her sissy woke
  early and threaded their way downstairs past piles
  of new-school materials to the front door for their
  morning constitutional. The stacks of notebooks and
  paper and backpacks had been all neatly organized
  and prepared by our daughters, Katy and Allie, the
  night before so as not to be late for the first day
  of school. Allie, 12 years old, going into Junior
  High for the first time, insisted especially that
  there be no last-minute delays leaving the house on
  this crucial morning.

  Out on patrol, the dogs make their way, sniffing and
  barking, checking tracks left by the bear, deer,
  coyote, and what-have-you that tramped through the
  yard during the night-time hours. Inside, the girls
  wolf down their cereal and brush their teeth. Allie
  straightens her new, bright-white, first-day-of-
  school blouse.

  Suddenly, a round of furious barking shatters the
  early-morning calm. This is not an unusual
  occurrence at our house. The dogs could have turned
  up anything - a mouse, a skunk, a man on
  horseback - regardless the source they dutifully obey
  an ancient instinct that lets everyone know they saw
  it first.

  Within moments, barking turns to yelps and snarls as
  an epic battle rages outside.

  The children run out to see and come back screaming
  and in tears, then I hear my wife, Liz, add her shouts
  to the ruckus. I, oblivious to all, and being quite
  accustomed to the increasingly frequent emotional
  outbursts of my pre-teens, merely focus my attention
  more forcefully on the surgical extraction of the
  last remaining portion of a small splinter jammed in
  my thumb.

  The level of general panic swirling about the house
  reaches a level, which even I cannot ignore, so I
  trundle downstairs to the front porch, curious to
  see what is causing all the excitement. There,
  spread before me, lies a tableau of pain and
  suffering. I hear the screams of girls and the
  snarls of dogs. A high level of general hysteria
  prevails. Liz sits with pliers in hand. Blood is
  splattered in every direction on new school
  clothing. In the center of the hubbub, defiant, even
  arrogant, apparently impervious to pain, still
  barking, stands Val, the wonder dog, looking
  particularly fearsome as she now sports a hideous
  array of spikes emanating from her snout.

  My first reaction is one of disbelief, and early-
  morning confusion. I don't remember Val having
  spikes growing out of her head, although they do
  look like they would deter the advance of any
  rational-minded creature wanting to avoid getting
  stuck. Slowly it dawns on me that the spikes point
  the wrong way, blunt ends sticking forward. Val has,
  apparently, encountered her first porcupine.

  It takes a lot of patience to pull porcupine quills
  out of a dog's snout. First, you have to catch the
  dog. Then you must calm her down and then slowly,
  gently as you can, you grasp each quill one at a
  time with pliers and YANK. Dogs like this even less
  than kids like doing homework.

  After all the excitement died down, the kids packed
  their stuff in Liz' car (more than a little late)
  and left for school. As they all sped away down the
  hill, with admonitions from the children to never
  let the dogs go outside ever again, I found myself
  hoping, with the eternal optimism of parenthood,
  that somehow, during their school day, the children
  would learn a lesson even half as valuable as the
  lesson Val learned on her first day of school.

  H. Johnson
  Twisp, WA
  Sept. 08, 2004

If  you  have an idea that would make a  good  topic for
a   future  newsletter,  please  send  it to hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to this list send an email to
hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field.

hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2003, Signal Consulting, Inc.