[hscctstudents] HSCCT Weekly Report 1/22

  • From: "Gibran Adejele" <gibran_adejele@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hscctstudents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:14:18 -0600

Weekly Quote: All the so-called "secrets of success" will not work
unless you do. ~ Author Unknown

Some of you are not working and your scores show it.  Several of you had
the temerity to not do the homework.  You fellas didn't do the homework
the very week you knew we were  having a practical exam.  Oh and by the
way, it cost you 20 points.  You guys don't care about this team or the
people on it.  If you're not willing to work - and work hard, you don't
belong here. If you are not serious about learning this technology, stop
wasting your time and the rest of the team's.

I haven't received a single HTML question on this list in the 3 weeks
we've been in training.  During class, I only get questions from the
competition leaders.  Maybe that is why they're the leaders.  Several of
your efforts on the practical exam can only be described as pitiful.
There isn't a dumb kid on this team, but there are several of you that
are not willing to work as hard as you need to in order to be
competitive in this program. Your brains alone will not suffice. Brains
+ Work = Success.  This isn't a social club. We're here to win
scholarship money.  If you aren't serious about that, then find and do
something else that you are or can be serious about.

One thing I need to let you know about the exam. I had forgotten that at
the last minute I removed some of the requirements which brought the
maximum point potential to 165.  Below are the results of the HTML
practical exam:

Lee Reed               160
Dre Robinson           143
Brian Montgomery       140
Maurice Shelton        139
Letisha Logan          118
Charise McSwine         82
Iman McDuffie           77
Carlton Means           73
Brittany McDuffie       66
Christian Malebranche   45
Ben Hughes              42
Joseph Huggins          35
Chris Hughes            27

The overall standings remain largely unchanged.  However, the gap
between those that are willing to work and those that are not has
increased.  Below are the overall standings:

Standings
Name    Total Points

Maurice Shelton 439
Lee Reed        436
Andre Robinson  419
Letisha Logan   383
Charise McSwine 323
Iman McDuffie   312
Brian Montgomery        302
Brittanie McDuffie      266
Joseph Huggings 262
Carlton Means   245
Ben Hughes      195
Christian Malebranche   189
Chris Hughes    155

There isn't any programming homework this week. However, obviously those
of you that care about making it into the top 5 will direct your energy
toward improving your HTML capability.  You cannot be successful in this
program without a firm grasp of HTML! Your only homework assignment is
to read chapter 1 of JSTL in Action.   Last year I required you guys to
look up vocabulary words weekly.  This year I am encouraging you to look
up the vocabulary words in a decent dictionary but I am not requiring it
nor do I want you to send me the definitions.  This book was written for
professional programmers.  It uses words that you may know in new
contexts.  You should look them up even if you looked them up last year.

Dynamic
Protocol
Transmit
Enterprise

While I'm getting on your cases.  I think it is a darn shame that one of
the most mature and behaviorally competent students is the only 8th
grader in the class.  I think he deserves some movie tickets for
demonstrating the self discipline I don't see in many of you high
schoolers.  The coaches and I wonder what kind of team we would have if
we could get folks like Maurice to demonstrate some leadership in the
classroom and set the example and standard for the rest of the team.
How strong would we be if Letisha would help us focus on what is
important instead of being part of the reason we lose our attention.
You guys are my Seniors and veterans!  When are you going to step up to
the leadership challenge inherent in the program?  You should be helping
me with the younger students but you're no better if not worse!  You
know "we're just teenagers" doesn't cut it with me.  Do your job.  Show
some leadership and show it now!  Good grief!  You'll be away at college
in a few months. You're supposed to be young adults not little kids.

Next week we shift into a higher gear.  Coach Cooley will lead you into
the wonderful world of JSTL.  As most of you will recall, the level of
technical sophistication intensifies.  Be ready to work even harder.
You have much to learn young warriors. See you next week 9:00 sharp.

(H) 708-283-8516
(C) 708-254-7767