[hsa] Re: Home security cameras?

  • From: Rob Boudrie <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 00:38:52 -0400

Nat did great job of explaining why we went with a hardwired solution for the rifle and pistol range cameras as well as using POE cameras and wireless access points (and yes Nat, we used single mode instead of multimode fiber). Now, I just have to figure out how to do wireless between different points five miles apart in the flatlands where running a direct cable is impossible.

On 7/5/2017 6:03 PM, Nat Fairbanks wrote:

Your requirements contradict best practices for use of security cameras.

If you want a battery powered camera you can move around as needed then buy a game camera. I'm not aware of any that have wifi but wifi is awful. Avoid wifi if you want your security camera to be reliable.

It's not that difficult to get wired security cameras installed properly. The problem is they really aren't easily movable if you install them outside since you have to have some amount of physical security on the wire itself. Cameras are designed so that the wire is on the "inside" of the house while the camera is at least somewhat armored (as in you need tools or a hammer) on the outside of the house.

Good security cameras use POE (Power Over Ethernet) so all you have to run is an ethernet cable to each camera location. Each camera will cost ~$100, the POE enabled ethernet switch is ~$50 (per 4 cameras basically) and then a NVR (network video recorder) starts at ~$200 and goes up depending on how many cameras and how much storage you want. If you are OK with storing footage on each camera itself (and risking losing the footage if the camera is tampered with) then you can skip the NVR. Some acceptable brands that I have experience with are hikvision, dahua and reolink. I can talk specific models if you'd like.

I won't recommend a wireless security camera, or a battery powered one so I haven't made specific recommendations. I know there are some products advertising both features out there right now (I think Arlo is one of them) but they are also usually based off some sort of "cloud" services model for storage and remote access to footage. I won't consider any of those things for my security cameras.

Just like any optic device there are limitations with bright sunlight and darkness but modern cameras are fairly good but don't expect usable footage in conditions far outside what the human eye is capable of. If the light is bright enough that you are squinting or so dark you can't see the hand in front of your face there will be compromises in image quality.

-Nat

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Erich Thalheimer <thalheimer@xxxxxxx <mailto:thalheimer@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi All,

    I’m interested in setting up a home security camera for potential
    use outdoors and indoors.  I’m a complete neophyte when it comes
    to these things.  I only want to spend a few hundred bucks for one
    or maybe two cameras and whatever equipment (hub?) I’ll need.
    Here’s my wish list of features:

    ·Wireless wifi connection to my PC.

    ·Battery powered cameras, so I can move them around as needed.

    ·Able to watch real time as well as store some amount of footage
    (TBD).

    ·Color is preferred but not essential.

    ·Able to operate in bright sunshine as well as dark of night.

    Any tips?

    Thanks,

    **

    *Erich Thalheimer***

    /INCE Board Certified Acoustical Engineer/

    27 Peterson Road, Natick, MA 01760

    H: (508) 651-9772 <tel:%28508%29%20651-9772>

    C: (617) 785-8249 <tel:%28617%29%20785-8249>

    Thalheimer@xxxxxxx <mailto:Thalheimer@xxxxxxx>

    www.ErichThalheimer.com <http://www.erichthalheimer.com/>