[hoa] $10,000 Fine

  • From: "Robert @ Colorado HOA" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hoa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 09:27:13 -0600

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/03/one-apartment-complexs-rule-you-write-a-bad-review-we-fine-you-10k/

One Apartment Complex’s Rule: You Write A Bad Review, We Fine You $10k

Windemere Cay's "Social Media Addendum" claimed copyright of tenants'
photos, too.
by Joe Mullin - Mar 10, 2015 7:28am MDT
91 comments

Trying to control customer opinions online is nearly always a losing
game for a business, and there's now a long line of cases where it has
backfired on the business. We uncovered a new example this month, when
a reader contacted Ars Technica to show us the "Social Media Addendum"
that his Florida apartment complex, called Windermere Cay, included in
his lease.

The Social Media Addendum, published here, is a triple-whammy. First,
it explicitly bans all "negative commentary and reviews on Yelp!
[sic], Apartment Ratings, Facebook, or any other website or
Internet-based publication or blog." It also says any "breach" of the
Social Media Addendum will result in a $10,000 fine, to be paid within
ten business days. Finally, it goes ahead and assigns the renters'
copyrights to the owner—not just the copyright on the negative review,
but "any and all written or photographic works regarding the Owner,
the Unit, the property, or the apartments." Snap a few shots of
friends who come over for a dinner party? They're owned by your
landlord.

.
.
.

--
Twitter: twitter.com/ColoradoHOA
web:  sites.google.com/a/coloradohoa.com/www/