[hllug] Re: VLC player problem

  • From: herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:28:13 -0600

Don Crowder wrote:
On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 10:24:03 -0600
herb cee <hc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all
I am trying to get a .wma link to play without success in VLC player.
http://mapleton.wmlive.internapcdn.net/live_mapleton_vitalstream_com_kpigfm?PPID=4639&.wma

Herb, it took a fairly long time to load, on my not-really-so-very-fast
DSL connection but it played just fine in my browser, in Noatun.  I
copied the URL, closed the browser, opened VLC clicked on File/Open
Network Stream, clicked on HTTP, pasted in the URL and VLC started
playing the file right where Noatun left off. Very cool!

Great Don can you send me that url please cause that is where I am pasting that

http://mapleton.wmlive.internapcdn.net/live_mapleton_vitalstream_com_kpigfm?PPID=4639&.wma

I have, of course, long since added a multimedia repository to my
sources.list file and installed win32codecs.  Another file that proved
helpful was libdvdcss2.

I have multimedia repository and libdvdcss2 installed but I don't have a clue on the 'win32codecs'. The Snaptic PM does not list it. How do I do that?

By the way, I'm still listening to that file as I type this.  I don't
know what to call it, a podcast maybe?   Anyway, it's a lengthy audio
clip from a radio station that opens with a singer/songwriter who does
one tune followd by a commercial and a 'canned' Rolling Stones
number before they get to a live-in-the studio band.  I'm bad with
names so it didn't stick but they're damn good.  Thanks for the link!

Don this is why I like that radio station so much. The pod cast thing is a fill-in recording that they use to fill the commercials when they are blocked because of the restrictions imposed in the digital rights mess. The 'fill-in' plays instead. They began as a tiny 2,000W local sta in Santa Cruz Ca and they are a musicians station 20 odd years ago. they have live studio broadcast on Sun morn from 10-12 Pac time and have top entertainers to some really not so great. They are hard to genre but I guess folk rock is kind of close but they play a lot of protest songs.

Go to www.kpig.com and click to the 'pig player' and your will see a collection of video's taped live from that Sun show. Several names you will reconize are there, many are obscure but very talented. Check it out, Mary Gauthier doing Mercy Now is there live, very cool.
herb