[hllug] Re: Roku expience

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:21:38 -0500

Herb:

Herb Cee wrote:
> Lee Parmeter wrote:
>> Fedex delivered the Roku Video On Demand Digital Player Saturday
>> afternoon. Setup took about 5 minutes. It can be set to use a wireless
>> or wired network connection, both require a dynamic ip. The component
>> video output supports 720p or 480p. My HDTV supports a max resolution
>> of 1080i (540p) , so I selected "16:9 anamorphic (480p) which is
>> equivilent to the resolution of a progressive scan DVD player. At the
>> end of the setup an activation code appears that you have to enter at
>> the website: http://netflix.com/Activate. To beginning watching movies
>> immediately, you just have to go to your Netflix account and add
>> movies to your Instant Queue.
>>
>> I was a little concerned about the internet bandwidth use when
>> watching typical standard definition movies with the Roku player.
>> Monitoring the network throughput at my M0n0wall router, I found that
>> the activity showed a download cycle of about 8 to 10 seconds at max
>> speed (6 Mbps) every 60 seconds. I would expect the download cycle to
>> increase for slower speed networks and decrease for higher speed
>> networks so that an average throughput  of approximately 1 Mbps is
>> maintained. The visual quality of the visual image on the HDTV was
>> equivalent to watching a DVD on a progressive scan DVD player with no
>> pausing or interruptions; absolutely perfect!
>>
>> Overall: Met my expectations; very pleased!
>>
>> Operating System: GNU/Linux!
>>
>> -Lee
>> ______________________________________________________________________________

> Cool Lee, I have not done much looking yet but I am very interested in
> getting a remote weather station such as Oregon scientific to be
> monitored by a Linux sys and if that tiny sys could do that it would be
> really useful in controlling the input of wind or solar power. any
> pointers you turn up in checking out this sys along that line I would
> love to know.

Some hackers (good kind) have been attempting to get into the Roku and I
have heard that they have succeeded in getting in via telnet. But the Roku
has no real storage and apparently buffers the video streaming in ram. The
GPL source code has been released, but there is some code licensed from
"Mister Bill" that will never be released.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2008/07/roku-has-posted.html

The Roku hardware is really designed around video/sound streaming and is
probably not the best choice for your requirements. There are some other
~$100 hardware available that would run linux well and be a better choice.

However, the Roku would be a nice MythTV frontend and may be hacked and
refitted to achieve this purpose in the future.

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter