[hllug] OOP's and the Vista Recovery Tool to the rescue!

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:58:19 -0600

Hey, finally one of my daughters teenage friends asked me to put Linux on
their Toshiba laptop; a dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu. Yea!!

Oh but then a big OOP's.

After running defrag on Vista's ntfs partition, I used gparted to shrink
the ntfs partition (/dev/sda2) a little to make room for at least a '/' and
swap partition for Linux. The ntfs partition was 185 GB so I shrunk it down
to 170 GB. Then I booted the machine to see if all was well and got the
notorious unable to boot vista error; could not find
"\windows\system32\winboot.exe".

Note: I had done the "Vista shrink" before on my wife's new HP laptop
without a hitch!

The owner of the Toshiba laptop did not make the Vista Restore Media nor
have a "real" Vista O/S install DVD and the ghost partition on the laptop
(/dev/sda1) was also non-bootable at this point.

I went ahead an installed Linux and grub on the machine and could now boot
into Linux and mount the Vista partition.

# mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/vista

The data turned out to be OK! So, I proceed to back-up the user data to my
1 TB USB backup drive that is connected to my server using "secure copy" (scp).

# scp -r /mnt/vista/(blah blah)/users lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:/media/backup/vista

There was about 60 GB of data and it took more than an hour to backup.

Some of the things I learned along the way:
a. Both Toshiba and HP do not provide the Microsoft Recovery Tool that is
normally on a std Vista install DVD. The only method the vendors support is
 restoring the original disk image; destroying all your data in the process.

b. The boot menu is no longer in a text file (boot.ini) but is in a
registry like entry and must be edited using a utility called bcdedit.

The down side is that you have to be able to get access to the partition in
a windows environment to run the utility. I tried booting to the recovery
console in both WIN2000 and WinXP and in both cases, there was no drive C
found.

My problems turned out to be more complicated than just a BCD entry.
However, Microsoft did create a very good recovery tool which was able to
repair the partition. The first time I ran the tool, the partition
selection window was empty; no partitions were found. But I ran the
recovery tool anyway. Afterwards the machine still failed to boot with the
same error. So, I booted with the recovery disk again and this time it
found a partition but the size was set as 0 bytes. Then a pop-up menu
appeared that said the partition needed to be fixed so I responded with an
OK with the mouse. The next time I booted the laptop and selected Vista
from the grub menu, it booted into Vista and all was well again!

So, I would recommend that you download this recovery tool and burn a CD.
You may need it some day!

<http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71039/description.html>

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter