[hllug] Re: Kubuntu question

  • From: "Donald E. Crowder" <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:11:37 -0500

On 10/13/2011 03:58 PM, Lee Parmeter wrote:
On 10/13/2011 02:28 PM, Don Crowder wrote:
For the last several weeks I've been using Kubuntu 11.04 on a 64 bit Compaq
Presario SR1650NX (after having used Debian for several years). As of this
morning I'm getting a popup from KPackageKit asking me to upgrade to
oneiric 11.10.  Is there any chance this upgrade will break my OS?   Flash
doesn't seem to work properly on this machine so I've been thinking of
going back to a 32 bit machine (of which I have several).  If there's a
chance the upgrade will break my 64 bit OS I'd prefer to back up my
personal files and start over with a fresh install of 11.10 on a 32 bit
system instead of taking the time to upgrade this one.  Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Normally, a "*buntu" upgrade will not break your previous system, but there
could be an initial known or unknown problem that bites you. As a result, I
generally wait a couple of weeks before upgrading a "*buntu" to avoid some
of the initial pain.

In 64 bit Ubuntu, including 11.04, flash has been working OK for me. I
believe even the adobe flash package in apt works without having to install
the 64 bit version manually. However, I am mainly using Firefox. I have
seen problems with Flash in Google's Chrome.

Just an observation, but it's getting harder and harder to tweak a distro
now that Upstart has replaced the Init scripts, grub 2 is being used, and
then there's the xorg changes too! However, you can still download source
and do the three step and install it. (configure/qmake, make and
install/checkinstall)

Here's the "known" bug list for 11.10 for Kubuntu:

Kubuntu

     *

       Kmail migration fails (857828). You will need to delete your
~/.kde/share/config/kmail-migratorrc file, and run the migrator manually -
kmail-migrator --interactive or skip the migration tool and reconfigure
Kmail from scratch.
     *

       Shutdown in the live session under VirtualBox sometimes does not work
and seems to just hang on the desktop. Just restart the computer with the
power button in that case, there is no possibility of data loss. (805906)
     *

       A window may retain a taskbar entry after closing the application.
(KDE Bug 275469):
     *

       Kmail/Kontact cannot reliably retrieve email after a suspend resume
cycle. Sometimes after resume, instead of displaying messages, "Retrieving
folder contents, please wait" will be persistently displayed. If this
occurs, use the Akonadi Server Configuration control module to restart
Akonadi. That should resolve this issue. Restarting Kontact/Kmail will not.
To access the control module use the search function in Kickoff (K menu) or
Quicksand (alt-F2) to find it.(862483)

[https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/ReleaseNotes?action=show&redirect=OneiricOcelot%2FTechnicalOverview]

This time around I elected to use Thunderbird for all my email accounts so I'm not using kmail and have never used VirtualBox so that taskbar bug may be all I should worry about. That being the case I may just go for it.

Flash works fine for me in Chrome but I get errors about missing plugins from many sites I visit with Firefox and if I click on the "Download plugins" button I get a "Plugin not found" error.

--
Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com