[hllug] Kmail was driving me nuts.

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:02:21 -0600

The sent mail showed as having been sent from the default ID and I kept getting bounce messages from HLLUG (my default personal address isn't the one I use for subscriptions) and I had trouble figuring out which identity to use for replies because everything goes to the one inbox. Actually, that's what I liked about Kmail but replies should, by default, be sent from the receiving identity, i.e. hitting reply to a group post should, by default, be sent from the identity the post was sent to and I couldn't figure out how to make that happen.

So I developed my own workaround. I have a different email client for each identity *grin* Yep, I downloaded Icedove (Thunderbird), Sylpheed Claws (very cool email client), and the Iceape Suite (Seamonkey) which includes an email client that looks, feels, and seems to operate exactly like Icedove (and is, of course, from Mozilla).

The new T-bird, which Lisa put on her XP machine, has a Gmail radio button which the tough parts of setting up a gmail account. You plug in your user name and if you're willing to let the software save your password, check a box and enter it once the first time you check your mail and once the first time you send mail.

Etch, of course, has a slightly older version which was slightly more difficult to set up but only slightly and now I won't have to endure any email confusion.

Don