[hllug] Re: I'm so confused.

  • From: Lee Parmeter <admin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:23:54 -0500

On 10/11/2011 10:20 AM, Don Crowder wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 04:18 AM, Lee Parmeter wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 07:00 PM, Don Crowder wrote:
>>> We decided that we needed a better router than the Belkin54g we've got
>>> so I went to newegg and ordered a new wrt54g. Two days later I found
>>> one at a garage sale (looked new) for $10 so I bought it.
>>>
>>> I powered it up, hooked my Kubuntu box to one if its four ports,
>>> opened my browser, logged into the router(@192.168.1.1), changed it's
>>> default IP to 192.168.2.1 (on account of 192.168.1.1 is the dafault IP
>>> of our DSL modem and this has worked for me on numerous occasions),
>>> logged back in on the new IP, set it for WPA, typed in a passphrase
>>> and, finally, plugged in the cable from our DSL modem.
>>>
>>> Should be good to go, but it isn't. Neither my laptop nor the two
>>> little Dell desktop computers I used to wag to LUG meetings (each of
>>> which has a wireless card installed) can "see" the router. I tried
>>> resetting it to just an open link, w/no security, and that changed
>>> nothing.
>>>
>>> Wired connections work just fine.
>>>
>>> I first thought that maybe the used one I bought had some sort of
>>> problem so, when the new one came in, I hooked it up, configured it
>>> identically and got the same results. My gear can't see it.
>>>
>>> I don't know why wireless hardware hates me but every time I touch
>>> something that's supposed to be wireless it turns into an adventure. :(
>>>

>>> I've set two of these things up for Windows users, using the CD that
>>> comes with it, and had no problems at all. I've got an XP machine
>>> gathering dust in the spare bedroom. I guess I can hook it up and try
>>> configuring it with the CD but I don't want to do that. I want to know
>>> WHY it isn't working. Google was absolutely no help and the user
>>> manual I downloaded (pdf document) didn't help in the least.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>> When trying to connect via your wireless adapter, are you configured to
>> receive a dynamic IP via DHCP from the router?
>

> It's configured for DHCP
>
>> If so, check from the cmdline to see what/if you are getting an IP
>> address from the router using "ifconfig".
>>
>> ifconfig
>>
>> If you are getting an IP assignment, can you ping the router?
>>
>> ping 192.168.2.1
>>
>> If you can ping the router, then try pinging yahoo's ip: 98.139.180.149
>
> The computers can't "see" the router.  No detectable RF signal.
>
> As I said, the router works fine with wired connections.  I'm using now in
> fact.
>
> Herb may have the right of it.  As much as I resent it I'll try configuring
> it with XP later today.  I've got to go to town and renew my drivers
> license this morning.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Do your wireless cards in your computers support G mode?

2. Is the wireless network mode set for "Mixed" so both G and B mode is
working?

3. Is the SSID name set to be broadcast?

--
Administrator
http://www.hllug.org

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter