[hllug] Re: I has been orphaned.

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:45:53 -0500

Don:

Don Crowder wrote:
> Lee Parmeter wrote:
>> Don Crowder wrote:
>>> While I wasn't paying attention Etch got retired and Lenny became
>>> stable.  Now I have to either stay with my beloved, but aging favorite
>>> OS or start all over with a new one.  I know, from having accidentally
>>> tried to upgrade Sarge to Etch that a fresh install is the only way to
>>> go but I also know that my video resolution is going to come up at 800 X
>>> 600 following the new install (same thing happens with *buntu 8.10/9.04)
>>> and I'm going to have to figure out how to fix that.  I"ve already spent
>>>  a few hours trying to figure it out with no luck at all.  At the same
>>> time, KateOS comes up just fine at 1024 X 768 on a 350 MHz P2 laptop. Go
>>> figure.
>>>
>>> Very frustrating.
>>
>> Have you re-considered trying an upgrade anyway first? You really do not
>> have anything to lose at this point and it may just work this time!
>
> My Etch machine still works great and is still my primary computer so
> yes I do have something to lose.  I've given up on Sidux so maybe I'll
> try installing Lenny on my new (to me) machine but I'm going to be very
> annoyed when I can't get the video resolution to run at 1024 X 768.

Ok, I thought you were going to blow it away and install something else.

While on the distro upgrade subject, I upgraded my Dell laptop from Fedora
10 to Fedora 11 using "preupgrade" the other night. This is a fairly new
tool that Redhat/Fedora has developed for upgrading from previous or
distant versions. For example, you can upgrade a Fedora 8 directly to
Fedora 11 using preupgrade.

Preupgrade is very robust in that it downloads all packages needed, checks
everything for dependency problems, and builds a complete upgrade image on
on disk. Upon a reboot, an Upgrade selection is inserted in the GRUB menu
for execution. If you start the upgrade and it determines there is a
potential problem, like a lack of necessary disk space, it will stop so you
can correct the problem. In my case, my main partition was too small for
the upgrade process so I had to expand it using gparted and then resume the
upgrade later. If the upgrade does fail due to an error, at least in the
beginning, your previous Fedora installation still works.

After my upgrade to Fedora 11, I had two problems one of which is resolved.
The first was that the ATI fglrx video driver is not yet compatible with
the 2.6.29 Linux kernel that was installed, so I had to edit xorg.conf and
change "fglrx" to "radeon" (the open source ati driver). The 2nd problem is
that MythTV was not built to use pulse audio which causes MythTV to fail to
start. This problem is currently unresolved.

My file server is running Fedora 8 and will be upgraded using preupgrade
only after the problem with MythTV is resolved. Fedora 11 is the ONLY
upgrade path that "preupgrade" currently supports.

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter