[hllug] Herb is lost again

  • From: hc@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "1Highland" <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 02:12:36 -0500 (CDT)

 I am so confused I started working on a daily backup using Bacula-BackUp on a
timed schedule. Sounds simple and yet I am running the main server on a messed
up HD that over the past 2yrs is devided into sda1 and then extended into 8
other partitions of which my server is sitting on sda6 that is an extended
partition. I want to pull the entire boot sys for the sda6 off and then
reformat/partition the 80g HD nto sda1 38g. I want the rest of this HD as sda2
of 42g.

So first task is to make an image of the server install complete, reformat and
reinstall that that image back to new sda1..... then get Bacula-BackUp setup.

would it be safer to image the server to a cd and test it by installing it on a
seperate box to see if I have a good copy?

My ol head is kinda tight-looping and I not sure where to start?? I have also
copied the full server off to a dif box and I think it is complete so all files
under /home/herb are copied.

First is what is best to copy off a bootable image of the current server??? Use
a USB HD or burn a CD
arrrrrrgggg