[hllug] Re: Hello strangers!

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:15:55 -0500

On 10/11/2012 09:16 PM, Don Crowder wrote:
> Lisa and I bought an HP laptop computer from 3btech for her mom. Here's the
> details from the invoice.
>
> HP 6710B, 15.4" laptop w/Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2 GHz
> 2 GB DDR2
> 80 GB HDD
> 802.11g
> Gigabit LAN
> Windows Vista Business
>
> Surprisingly enough, it runs very nicely with Vista so we thought about
> just sending it on to her mom as-is (I've installed Microsoft Security
> Essentials, malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Firefox,
> LibreOffice and the Gimp) but we hit a small snag.  Lisa want's to go
> google hangouts with her mom and we have several webcams but no Windows
> drivers for any of them (they work fine in Linux).  Ok, so we tried the
> thing with a Kubuntu 12.04 LTS live CD.  Works great except no
> wireless....   Damn.  I've had no trouble finding Linux compatible wireless
> cards for desktops but, so far, I'm 0 for 3 on finding a USB dongle that'll
> work with Kubuntu and, with the built in wireless not working, I'm pretty
> much out of luck with this one.
>
> In less depressing news, this was an off-lease laptop with 90 day warranty
> for $189.99 with free shipping.
>
> I really don't want to sent it on with Windows in it because she's been a
> contented Linux user for several years now and won't have any real grasp of
> the differences in vulnerability so me and my pal google will start looking
> for some sort of alternative solution in a few days.  For now I've other
> fish to fry.
>
> Best regards to all.

I bought the following USB Wireless for my daughter earlier this year and
it worked in both Ubuntu Linux & Windows.

Rosewill RNX-EasyN1

Was $12.99 at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166041

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter