[hllug] Re: Broken Gnome Volume Control

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:25:30 -0600

herb cee wrote:
Lee Parmeter wrote:
herb cee wrote:
2008-12-31 06:44:37 PM Hmmmm well I finally managed to screw my Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) up Here is what happened so maybe someone can fix me... I got the DVD of the Orig Matrix by WarnerBros for a Christmas present but it would not play like the only other DVD I have (M.M.s Fahrenheit 911) I just not into movies (last movie I went to see was Jurassic Park) but always wanted to see Matrix. I tried every one of the 5 or 6 players that was in the Ubuntu install apps and I then decided to remove all of them and reinstall just mplayer/Totem and the VLC that I use for streaming audio. Both of them work fine but still after reinstallation refuse to play this dvd. I don't want to learn how to make a movie or copy it ... I just want to watch this brand new was in sealed pack disk.

So now I still can watch You tube and news vids and listen to KPIG & few other radio streams but the main volume control. in the apps menu is now inoperative it says: Error, 'failed to execute child process "gnome-volume-control" (no such file of directory). Also now the sound is missing completely from Chat client 'Pidgin' How can I fix this please?
When you "removed" all of the players, you most likely un-installed part of the ubuntu-desktop. Doing a "reinstall" of the "ubuntu-desktop" should fix your error.

Here's some instructions on playing encrypted (movies you buy) DVD's:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/musicvideophotos/C/video.html
Thanks Lee, I opened the Synaptic PMgr and since there were like 30 Gnome related lines with a green marker so I just chose the Vol control but it then asked for the install CD and I have all three i.e. 'desktop, server and Alternate' I can't remember which I used but it complains with all three.

I then went down the list and marked for reinstall all of the Gnome related items and the same procedure occurred except it DLed some 60 files but still wanted the CD and rejected all three.

I tried the vol control and still get this message .. Failed to execute child process "gnome-volume-control" (No such file or directory)

What would you suggest I do now? I don't know enough to have a clue.
Thanks
herb
Disable (uncheck) the CDROM's from the sources in:

System - Administration - Software Sources

Then try doing a reinstall of the "Ubuntu-Desktop" meta package.

-Lee