[hllug] Re: Automonting USB device

  • From: hc@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 11:15:38 -0500 (CDT)

Should I install the                 identified missing packages are would that
be dangerous?

Also today I googled                 for 'ubuntu automount  bug' and there is a
bug                 concerning the automount. Toward the end of the many
         complaints there are several workrouns but several too
cryptic for me to understand.
[https://launchpad.net/bugs/573919] https://launchpad.net/bugs/573919
hhbootlog entries are just warnings. You could install "awk" to get     rid of
those.
 The other package warnings are maintainer errors that need to be     fixed.
You don't have a choice which version of libc6 is install in     your distro.
libc6 is a shared library used by ALL packages on your     distro version.

 "fdisk -l" will show all available devices whether they are mounted     yet or
not. If the device does not show up, then I would not     expected it to be
mountable; even manually. So, the first problem is     to get the device to
show-up so that it can be mounted.

 Plugging a USB stick in my Ubuntu 11.04 machine it does not     "automount",
but I see the device as "/dev/sdb1":

 lee@linXos:~$ sudo fdisk -l
 [sudo] password for lee:

 Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
 Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
 Disk identifier: 0x000e4c42

 /dev/sda1   *           1          65      522081   83  Linux
 /dev/sda2              66        2023    15727635   83  Linux
 /dev/sda3            2024        9207    57705480   83  Linux
 /dev/sda4            9208        9729     4192965   82  Linux swap /
Solaris

 Disk /dev/sdb: 4040 MB, 4040724480 bytes
 64 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1957 cylinders
 Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 = 2064384 bytes
 Disk identifier: 0x2c6b7369

 /dev/sdb1               1        1957     3945280+   c  W95 FAT32     (LBA)

 *********************

 Then I can manually mount it at a previous created mount point such     as
"/media/jdrv"; where i created the directory "jdrv".

 sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/jdrv

 I have not got around to fixing the automount problem on my desktop     yet;
mainly because I do not plug usb devices in very often. The SD     card in my
Android phone automounts OK; not plagued by the problem     for some reason.

 -Lee

Hello Lee
I tried booting with my older flash card plugged in and that mounted on the DT
then if I plug in the SD card it mounts it fast and I can copy at normal speeds
to the HD. I noticed an update to the USB a few days ago so prehaps the
maintainers fixed the problem. It is now working normally as fr as I can
determine.
Thanks again for all the help
hh