[hipl-users] reverse zone for HIT's

  • From: Oleg Ponomarev <oleg.ponomarev@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:31:46 +0300 (EEST)

Hi! On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I see one interesting 'problem' already with this. All those HITs that resolve to 'localhost.localdomain'. They should be disallowed. Even ones like 'ubuntu.localdomain'.

Yes, experiments are useful. I did not expect so many hosts without a proper
FQDN.

You also need some optimization on maintiaining this zone for updates? I see

$ORIGIN 1.0.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.

3 times and a few others more than once.

It is written dynamically by BIND. I don't care so much, because for millions of records we need another server software anyway. Though BIND is good enough in the local scale.

I know there is concern about how large this zone will grow and transfer times.

The transfers are incremental if you support IXFR (common case).

--
Regards, Oleg.