[hipl-users] Re: hipl userspce make rpm fails

  • From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:17:50 +0300

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

Miika Komu wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Hi,

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
make rpm is failing now:

error: Bad owner/group: /root/hipl--userspace--2.6/test/packaging/hipl.spec

RPM build errors:
error: Bad owner/group: /root/hipl--userspace--2.6/test/packaging/hipl.spec

I see that this file has owner/group of 1000

In the 'older' tree that I have on my machine in an archived directory, the owner/group was 'root'.

OK. who is user 1000 and what is he doing on my system :)

"chown -R uid directory" to the rescue..
Good to know this is all it takes, but shouldn't it come this way, 'pre-packaged'?

the current Fedora/CentOS packaging method is as follows:

1. Fetch the HIPL sources as user A
2. Run autogen.sh and "make rpm" as user A (which will ask for sudo)

(I emphasize that there is the same user "A" in both steps")

If you deviate from this, you will end up with undetermined results. In your case, "undetermined" meant mismatching file priviledges, because you fetched the source code as UID 1000 (your normal account, I assume) and tried to build directly as root. Am I guessing this right?

Assuming I guessed right, unorthodox building methods will slip to the bottom of my working queue because you seems have more high priority bugs for me. However, we can sure improve the documentation on building the packages.