[hipl-users] State machine used for UPDATE packet handling

  • From: Leonardo Arraez <boldfox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:26:43 +0200

Hello everyone,

First of all, congrats for the article on the Linux journal, I cant wait to
get a copy to read it. I can see how hip is getting to be known by more
people everyday, which will surely help it's development and evolution
sooner than later.

I have a couple of questions regarding the implementation I know you can
help me to understand a bit better:

- The state machine used in UPDATE and NOTIFY packets is still the same as
the one defined in the draft-ietf-hip-base-06 referenced in the code (line
16 file update.c)?

- Is the UPDATE packet management still uses the parameter revision
(locator, echo_request, echo_response) to handle the appropriate response?

- Is it possible (as a general design of a service) to use NOTIFY packets
for new services? (rfc5203 makes reference of UPDATE, I2 and R2 packets
only) as I would like to create a new service and use the NOTIFY packet to
inform send some information to the subscribed node and not only use the
NOTIFY packet to provide feedback on errors.

I am working on the design of new services over hip however I'm not so sure
on how strict must the design be according to the protocol and the RFCs.

Thanks again for your patience and support everyone.

Cheers,

Leo