[hipl-users] Running MIPL/NEPL and HIPL at the same time?

  • From: "Väisänen Teemu" <teemuuolevivaisanen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mipl-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:38:06 +0200

Hi all.

At first, sorry if I'm sending this message to wrong mailing lists..

My first question is: Has anyone tried using MIPL (mipd) or NEPL
(nepd) and HIPL (hipd) at the same time in the one machine?

If not, what do you think, how much work might it need to get a kernel
where them both work at the same time? How much and what kind of
modifications might hipd and nepd applications need?

I know that XFRM is used also for other extension headers, such as
MIPv6 processing besides IPsec. HIPL adds BEET to XFRM, and MIPL uses
it at least also for route optimization. Does MIPL use XFRM for some
other unmentioned purposes also?

I have compared NEPL and HIPL patches and tried to apply them both to
Linux kernels. Both NEPL and HIPL need to patch the same files, so
patching order certainly effects to the result. I do not know how much
it mixes things up, that NEPL and HIPL patches are not for the same
kernels (for example 2.6.16 in NEMO and 2.6.16.5 in HIP). IPsec BEET
mode is included to the kernel since 2.6.19, so this might help
integrating in the future..

One example problem occurs when patching XFRM related files:
If a original kernel file has code lines
  code_original...

NEPL patches modifies it to
#ifdef CONFIG_XFRM_ENHANCEMENT
  code_NEMO...
#else
  code_original...
#endif

and HIPL patches modifies it to
  code_HIP...

If HIPL patch is applied after NEPL patch, the result will be:
#ifdef CONFIG_XFRM_ENHANCEMENT
  code_NEMO...
#else
  code_HIP...
#endif

But if CONFIG_XFRM_ENHANCEMENT is defined, codeHIP are not executed.

It is of course possible to add HIPL patches (codeHIP) inside #ifdef's
that NEPL uses.

I don't have much knowlegde about XFRM and kernels, and at this point,
any ideas and help are welcome! Thank you.

If someone is interested, I can give more details (and questions) I
have found out.

-Teemu Väisänen