[hipl-users] Relicensing of HIPL (was: Re: dual licencing of HIPL)

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:18:57 +0300

On 09/03/2009 04:23 PM, Miika Komu wrote:

Hi,

Miika Komu wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

we have plans to dual licence HIPL in a year for public use. The
second licence will be MIT in addition to the current GPL. Notice that
the MIT licencing relates only to the parts written in the project and
the imported GPL modules in the code will remain GPL.

If you have issues with this, please contact me or Andrei Gurtov
before the end of August. Feel free to discuss on the list as well.

we will dual licence HIPL since nobody has objected to this.

to simplify things, the plan has changed a bit as pointed out in the COPYING file in the top directory of HIPL software source. Instead of dual licensing, we just plan to change the license of the code written in Aachen and Helsinki to MIT (Expat). If you object this, please tell us why and contact us by the end of this month. If there's no justified objections, we'll change the license in the end of this month.

The default license for the new code will be MIT (Expat) after the end of the month. Please note that we can't change the license of code imported from other projects. This means that the end result (i.e. result of compiling the code) is still GPL because of imported GPL code. We have a plan on how to transition out of GPL completely but we need volunteers to help.

The reason why transition out of GPL is dual fold. EU research projects require non-GPL code. Also, we'd like to attract more companies to get interested in HIP.