[hipl-users] IPv6 address in LOCATOR parameter and mobility

  • From: Leo Martinez <boldfox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:42:36 +0200

Hello everyone,

I've being doing some tests of mobility and the UPDATE messages on HIPL and
I have a question regarding the format and of the address field in the
LOCATOR parameter, since it does not represent the addresses available on
the interfaces of the initiators and responders involved in my tests (I'm
using wireshark and the patch procedure provided by samu in the source code
to view the traces).  Also, I've noticed that the nodes involved simply
won't send the UPDATE messages for ECHO_REQUEST and ECHO_RESPONSE to the
corresponding IPv6 global addresses used during the BE and the conntest
tests (chapter 10 of the manual), the UPDATE messages are sent to the IPv4
addresses of the nodes.

   - Is this behaviour (sending UPDATE messages for ECHO_REQUEST and
   ECHO_RESPONSE by the IPv4 addresses ONLY) normal in the hipl implementation?
   - Does the address given by the locator (hipcong locator get) is always
   an IPv4 address?
   - Chapter 12 (Testing Handover) of the manual suggests to *"Make sure to
   add the route for the new address as soon as the new address is added. If
   the route is missing, the update packets might not get sent at all. The
   daemon waits for a couple of seconds if a transmit of an update fails for
   restransmitting it."* How can this be achieved?

After the UPDATE messages are exchanged, I check the SAs (hipconf get ha
all) and noticed the IP addresses changed from the original global IPv6 to
the IPv4 addresses of the nodes and after that, no more messages reach the
conntest-server.

I'd appreciate your comments based on your experiences guys in order to
understand the locator parameter, why there is no exchange of data between
nodes when the locator parameter is on (hipconf locator on) and why I can't
seem to achieve mobility.

- I'm using kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
- the hipd_config file has only the following options uncommented:

   - hit-to-ip off
   - nsupdate off
   - opendht off
   - heartbeat 0
   - locator on
   - nat none
   - debug all

- The are the iptables configured in the node:
iptables -L -n
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
HIPFW-INPUT  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
HIPFW-FORWARD  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
HIPFW-OUTPUT  all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
Chain HIPFW-FORWARD (1 references)
Chain HIPFW-INPUT (1 references)
Chain HIPFW-OUTPUT (1 references)
QUEUE      all  --  0.0.0.0/0            1.0.0.0/8

- And the ip6tables configured are:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
HIPFW-INPUT  all      ::/0                 ::/0
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
HIPFW-FORWARD  all      ::/0                 ::/0
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
HIPFW-OUTPUT  all      ::/0                 ::/0
Chain HIPFW-FORWARD (1 references)
Chain HIPFW-INPUT (1 references)
QUEUE      all      ::/0                 2001:10::/28
Chain HIPFW-OUTPUT (1 references)

- Meanwhile, the only processes I have runing  for hip are (ps aux | grep
hip)
nobody    5955  0.0  0.0  13776  1560 pts/1    S+   16:55   0:00 hipfw
-klpAF
nobody   11656  0.0  0.0  14668  2560 pts/2    S+   17:45   0:00 hipd -k

- No dns proxies are active (ps aux | grep dns)
root     14204  0.0  0.0   3336   804 pts/5    S+   18:08   0:00 grep dns