[hipl-users] Re: Hip Firewall questions

  • From: Miika Komu <miika.komu@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:30:27 +0300

jgilllor@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

Hi :)

First of all, I should say that I am referring about the hip-firewall openwrt version. I dont know if it is at the same level of development as the main branch.

for your purposes, the main branch is basically up-to-date with openwrt branch. There are more bug fixes on the main branch.

Well, I am trying to do some measureemnts with iperf but I have some problems.

It seems that when I put some rules in the /etc/hip/firewall_conf it doesn't work. I put this two rules:

FORWARD -scr_hit HIT1 -dst_hit HIT2 ACCEPT
FORWARD -scr_hit HIT2 -dst_hit HIT2 ACCEPT

It is "-src_hit", not "-scr_hit".

When I try the hip test between the two hosts, it doesn't work.

If I execute hipfw -F, the test works fine.

-F deactivates connection tracking completely. All HIP/ESP packets are allowed.

If I execute hipfw -A, the test doesn't work. It should work, right?

Yes. This one enables connection tracking, but all HIP/ESP packets are still allowed.

Maybe I am missing something, because If I analyze the traffic between the two hosts it seems that the connection uses the ipv4 address instead of the HIT, I don't know why...because I use iperf -c HIT1 -V, and it should use the IPv6 address.

The use of HIP does not imply that the packets on the wire are IPv6. The encapsulation depends on what you have configured to /etc/hosts for the peer (IPv4 or IPv6) address. I would think that you are still seeing HIP and ESP packets, right?