[hipl-dev] Re: [Merge] lp:~toxedvirus/hipl/hipfw-modules into lp:hipl

  • From: Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mp+40891@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:36:14 +0100

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 05:44:33PM +0000, Andrius Bentkus wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Review: Needs Fixing
> > one-minute review: This contains unrelated bug fixes (multiple inclusion
> > guard names in the modules subdirectory) and there are some K&R style nits
> > to address.
>
> This contains unrelated bug fixes => I will take this next time into
> account, but I won't do it in this branch, this is just overhead I'm not
> willing to spend my time on. Just review it and merge.

I have reviewed this branch and found issues with it.  Getting branches
merged requires addressing reviewer comments.  Code reviews do wonders
to software quality if done properly.  Of course this requires actually
implementing the requested changes.  If reviewer feedback is simply
ignored, the time spent on reviewing the code was wasted.

"Next time" is no way to create and especially to maintain a quality
codebase.  Before long, there will be workaround papered over workaround
and the people coming after us will be paying for the sins of their
predecessors.  They will waste more time than it takes to fix issues
now and they will be swearing ...

Committing separate changes separately is not overhead.  On the contrary,
it reduces debugging time.  Since in large projects debugging and
maintenance work dwarfs raw development time, this is a very useful
tradeoff to make.

Diego