[hipl-dev] Re: IRC channel

  • From: René Hummen <rene.hummen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 16:00:03 +0200

On May 25, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 01:16:36PM +0200, René Hummen wrote:

>>> No, this does not have to be the case.  You must *clearly* label
>>> what is ontopic and offtopic for each list.  If people ask offtopic
>>> questions, tell them to go elsewhere.  If need be, flame them.
>>>
>>> For additional effect make sure that their questions do *not* get
>>> answered on the wrong list.  People work like dogs essentially.
>>> If you give them food and then kick them and shout they must go
>>> away, they will come back for the food anyway.
>>
>> What about having HIPL dev world-readable, but only writable by actual
>> developers? Do you think that this could be a viable option? Then
>> there would be no need to flame and scare away possible contributers.
>
> If your possible contributors cannot post, how do you expect them
> to contribute?  Telepathy?

Well, they can see the email address of the sender, right!? So we could ask
them (at the webpage) to submit patches to active members of list. These in
turn can post them... Maybe it's more complicated and less open this way,
though.

---
Dipl.-Inform. Rene Hummen, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
tel: +49 241 80 20772
web: http://ds.rwth-aachen.de/members/hummen