[HIFIS3 LIST] Hifis ACER #: 01679 More Than 26 Shelters In One Db >>> Completed

  • From: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <henry.dagher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <shelteral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis-sisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <henryd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hifis3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:50:17 -0400

Category:  Change Request / Admin / Shelters

Originator:  Mitchell, Al

Issue:
We tripped over the problem when we began adding to our shelter-conversion only
program/sites in HIFIS 3.  Working from the base identity number in HIFIS, we
can add one letter code onto it to identify a component program.  Problem is,
with several shelters (maybe one more by Christmas?) a dozen or so (with more
to come) housing programs, and 4 with more hoped for Outreach programs, and a
not-to-be forgotten Drop-in we are pushing the limits of the one added alphabet
character.  If its possible to go to TWO alpha characters on the program
identity codes, then we have both the listing room we need, and we also get to
do what managers all love to do - organize these codes, at least where we
aren't already structured by the conversion, into somethign where all the
outreach could have say an `O' code, eg, xxxxxOA for Alexander St./DTS, xxxxxOL
for Livingroom etc

Would an additional program code letter be a near-term possibility?

If we added a second base number, would that work within one system?  To this
point with our system or the training system, I guess I've only seen one base
number onto which one adds a Service Provider by selecting a new letter off
that base - will we be able to select from two numbers within one system?  We
are still needing to keep the same pool of clients and attendant stays/services
open to all  Plus there's poor Daryl with the stats nightmare of pulling all
this together at some points, and the parsing it into reports particular to
specific sites/programs at others.

Further thought on the implications of second-base numbering and if that
results in a dual system, I would favour keeping Shelters and Outreach in one,
and set off the residential into the other.  The shelters and outreach work
closely together, where the Residential tends to follow and refer back to the
shelters or outreach, but much less likely to be serving the same person at the
same time.  (for some time our Outreach were strongly directed to refer any
tenant back to their TSW for support vs engaging unless the Outreach Support
was requested by the TSW etc)

Solution:
Shelter ID extended to 123456789AA thus allowing for 676 SPs per site.

As of Version: 3.72.2140