Re: Runway safety

  • From: Keith Beardslee <kbeardslee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bryancotton@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 21:11:23 -0400

Right on. Bryan !

Several years ago I had a similar experience. I was in a K-21 following a trainer in for a north landing. The 2-33 unexpectedly stopped short on the west runway but there was still plenty of room for me to land on the grass. Then, when I was on short final, several juniors started running across the field with buckets of water to congratulate their friend for completing his first solo flight. None of them looked in my direction. It was obvious that I would reach my touchdown point at the same time the juniors did. All I could do was close the spoilers, take a jog to the right, line up for the main runway, overfly the flight line at about 20 feet of altitude, and hope that none of the juniors saw me at the last instant and started to retrace their steps back across the main runway. It all turned out OK but that is why I have white hair now.

-Keith Beardslee

On Jul 1, 2012, at 9:10 PM, Bryan Cotton wrote:

All,

Had a great time towing this morning for IVSM. I thought there were two things that I would like to say about my subject. I had to go around once for ground crew. A pair were slowly walking to an ASK-21 down the west edge of the main runway, and not looking behind them. Fortunately the bright green vests make them easy to see. I felt that if I landed on the main runway or on the grass I would be too close, and it was a risk I was not going to take. We all know we should be alert when on the runway, and minimize the time on the runway, but it was especially true today because of the intensive activity and challenging conditions. Be alert and be safe out there, and don't just look once before you go. Keep on looking, it is the ones you don't see that will get you.

On a positive note I wanted to thank all the glider pilots who, despite the challenging conditions, taxied over to the side to clear as much of the runway as possible. That's the way to do it!

-- Bryan Cotton