[HFbeacons] Re: W5BUB Beacon

  • From: "W. Keith Hibbert" <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 10mprop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:57:51 -0400

Hi Alan, Keith here in Amherst, NY

I have also noted the long delay in the ID sequence on the W5BUB beacon. There's a reason for it and Bub metions it on the Bio page on his QRZ listing. He said:

>My 10 meter Beacon is operational on 28.2435 Mhz with 4 watts output >into a Vertical antenna. Transmits grid location then is silent for 60 >seconds, this allows to listen for others signals before it transmits >again. Please QSL or email a report if you hear the beacon, email to >w5bub@xxxxxx

I came up with 1 Min 12 Seconds, close enough for our needs. I just park the RX on 28.2432 MHz and wait, Bub shows up with a good signal if the band is open...

I'm CC:ing Bub on this, I can't argue with his logic and would have done something similar back with NQ2RP except that my homebrew TX had the oscillator running full-time so I still couldn't copy between ID cycles, hi!

So far this morning I have heard a few, I am making a list (Just a Little List...)

73, Keith, WB2VUO
Amherst, NY: Grid FN02ox

On 06/30/2011 00:12, Alan Schoberg wrote:
June 29, 2011

1755Z in Fargo ND, EN16

Not enough time to do a proper scan.Activity less than in the
morning.Heard LU5FB 28197 again today.

2211Z in MN, EN16

28231WA4FCVA

28233N2UHCKS

28243W5BUBARwith its long silent periods, I’m sure I miss this one most
days.

28243KB1QZYMA

28254K5AHHOK

28260AD5KOAR