[HFbeacons] Re: (No Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 22:25:30 -0500

  • From: "Dan Mitten - WA3NFV" <WA3NFV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Charles,

It looks like the IF frequency is 450 KHz (which is possible) based on the
crystal frequency for the receiver. Simply subtract 450 KHz from the frequency
you wish to operate, for the receiver and obtain a 3rd overtone crystal for the
transmit frequency. They require retuning, but it is usually not hard. If you
can find crystals in the 29.000 to 29.010 MHz, that is the hot area. Most of
the AM activity is 29.000 to 29.050 MHz.

I have four CB radios converted to 10 Meters and have a blast with them. I sold
a fifth one about six months ago and work the new owner frequently. The AM ones
are synthesized producing signals on the 5's (29.005 MHz, is channel 11) and
the SSB unit uses crystal mixing. I've worked Europe from home with my vertical
on AM and made a 55 Mile ground wave contact, mobile, with the SSB unit (the
other station was 100 Watts into a G5RV). You need only listen for a few
beacons to know low power contacts can be made, on 10.

Dan WA3NFV
WA3NFV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx