[HFbeacons] Re: News From AA1SU/B in Vermont

  • From: "Paul N. Gayet AA1SU" <AA1SU@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 21:27:22 -0400

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. I have a friend that says he can look at it for me. He's a pretty good tech. I think the radio fails the 10 second rule. That's why I tried to keep the fan on it. The fan is on the HR2510 all the time now.

Are the HR2510 and the HTX-100 similar radios on the inside, or am I thinking of something else?

73
Paul N. Gayet AA1SU
ARRL Vermont Section Manager
AA1SU@xxxxxxxx
FISTS #4028

On 6/2/2016 10:50 AM, Mark Garrett (Redacted sender ka9szx for DMARC) wrote:

Hi Paul:

It would not hurt to do some trouble shooting on the HTX-100 to see if the final is bad. If it is then I would say yea, that rig does need a fan. I usually go with a ten second rule where you place you hand on the heat sink. If you cannot hold it there for ten seconds then it is too hot. It should be repairable if it is either way unless there is something major wrong.

I hope you get the chance to roll your own beacon either modifying a discarded or cheap trashed out CB or build your own design. It really brought the enjoyment level up for me.

Mark, KA9SZX

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:37 PM, Paul N. Gayet AA1SU <AA1SU@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Had some action here with the Beacon radio set up over the three day holiday weekend. The radio here is a Realistic Shack HTX-100 set to the 5 watt output setting. It is keyed by an original N0XAS Picokeyer built inside a Altoids Chewing Gum tin. The antenna is a vertical strapped to the chimney of the house, about 35' up. I got the keyer in an estate sale last year. The radio was an estate find, too. Lately, I've had a small cooling fan blowing across the heatsink of the radio.