[HFbeacons] Beacons: Positive ID-ing?

  • From: "W. Keith Hibbert" <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 10mprop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:56:10 -0400

Hi, Keith here in Amherst, NY

This little missive came from a 2 meter QSO today. How do you REALLY, POSITIVELY ID the beacon you hear?? Well, here's my take on it:

1 - Copy the call solidly (DUH!)
2 - Part of the call and some positive ID segment (Copying 'PORT ST LUCIE, FL on 28.257+ makes a good case for WY5I's ID as an example) 3 - Match the frequency and sequence ('AB/B EM10', ya think it might just be K5AB?? Really???)
4 - Send the trustee and E-Mail, He/She sends back, "Yep. That's Me"

Well, let's say that NONE of these work, ya know you've heard it/something like it before. It's on/near the same frequency, or maybe not. Well, IMHO the copy is busted. Sorry, no lolly for you today!

Saying this, I personally try to copy all and everything I can. Saying that, "I didn't want to wait around for the call/qth/grid," or, "The ID should be shorter/clearer/slower/faster..." sez that it's time to watch a ballgame, not monitor for beacons and activity.

Myself the solid earball copy is the best thing going, copy with a CW decoder is fine, too. I can't find one that copies as well as I can though. Maybe when the technology is as old as me that will change, or not...

Anyway, the band has been all over the USA this afternoon, I am still sorting my notes. I'll post my 'Best Effort' later in the day.

73, Keith, WB2VUO
Amherst, NY: Grid  FN02ox

BTW: Please do not construe that I am in FISTS, A-1 Operators, OOTC or anything similar. I like to keep this fun...K