[HFbeacons] Beacons: From The Mobile with 2 Sets of Ears

  • From: "W. Keith Hibbert" <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 10mprop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:55:13 -0400

Hi, Keith here in Amherst, NY

MY wife, Anne, is WB1GVL. She has not been active for quite awhile but helped monitor for beacons while we were driving around Western NY yesterday. Her code speed is not great, but she still remembers her CW from taking her test some 30 years ago. BY the end of the afternoon she was copying about 30% of what we were hearing.

This list is from her notes, the times were between 1400Z and 2230Z while we were running about. Reception was from Erie and Niagara Counties here in NY. We were visiting farm stands and nurseries for the pantry and garden, the ham radio was a secondary task, really!

Got 40 logged, the list is in no particular order during the day.

Heard between 1400Z and 2230Z on 27 June from the mobile:

VE4ARM
VE4TEN
W2DLL
WB0LYV
K0KP

K9CW
N4PAL
KC5CKP
VA3SRC
N1FSX

N2UHC
N8RT
WA4ZKO
WA4GEH
W5BUB

N5YEY
K5AB
W0KIZ
WD9CVP
N0AR

K0HTF
AA4AN
AD5K0
NC4SW
N4VBV

K8TK (250 Miles!)
W3HH
W4TIY
K6FRC/B3
W0ERE

KD0GZJ
W5DJT
NN5RR (Rambling ID)
KF4MS
W0ILO

W5JTG
KC9GNK
KB9NK
NS9RC
N1KON

We picked up VA3SRC while crossing the Niagara Escarpment, we could see across the lake and see the skyline of downtown Toronto. I would have to say it was line of site, hi. K*TK was a surprise, new in the log and only 250 miles, it sounded like a long meteor scatter signal.

If I can keep Anne working on improving her copying skills, I just might get her sown here in the shack to log a few, Hi!

73, Keith, WB2VUO
Amherst, NY: Grid FN02ox