[HFbeacons] Re: [10Mprop] 10m or 11m?

  • From: "W. Keith Hibbert" <wkhibbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 10mprop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hfbeacons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 09:55:38 -0400

Jim & All:

The handover of the 11 meter band to the Land Mobile/CB services was about 8 years before I got my license, but it was still a hot button item in the local ham clubs. Many of the hams who had been on both 10 7 11 meters prior to the CB band claimed that 11 meters always opened well before 10 meters and closed well after 10 meters closed. In the early 50's, there were hams working DX on 11 with absolutely no DX on 10. The fact that 11 was a better DX band was considered Gospel to the DX'ers...

I used 11 meters to spot improving propagation when I got on 10 in 1967. Even then, there was 'skip' on 11 well before it was on 10. I always felt that the MUF just didn't quite get up to 28 MHz. Honestly, I am torn between the increased number of CB'ers compared to hams, and variables in MUF/Propagation, but feel that the answer is somwhere in between.

Considering now, with scores of beacons all over North America, skip on 11 shows up far more often than beacons reports from the same geographic area. It points more to propagation rather than activity. It merits more observation.

73, Keith, Wb2VUO, TC - ARRL WNY Section
Amherst, NY: Grid FN02ox

On 06/04/2016 20:26, Jim Z wrote:

I find it hard to believe 11m is so much more active than 10m.
11m is really active right now and I hear nothing on 10 meters.
Jim,N2NXZ