[hencny] One good lesson

  • From: "Laurie Callihan" <windyhill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <NY-alert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <hencny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:51:06 -0400

I am struck by the events of the past day and how every part of our lives has
been affected.  Many have commented in many ways on how to teach and comfort
our children in this situation.  But one thing stands out to me this morning -
a good lesson for our children.  We, as a people, are very opinionated, very
political, and generally very vocal.  On Monday I was listening to our senators
and house reps and media discuss the fact that the "other party" was destroying
our national economy.  Our children must be used to hearing our politicians and
leaders bicker and fight over the details of policy.  They know that you as a
parent and citizen 1) love Hillary or 2) can't stand Hillary.  I am sitting
here listening and applauding a speech by a politician (not Hillary) who I
normally detest - and yet I am finding a comfort in hearing him speak with
strength, leadership, and TRUE bipartisanship.  So, the lesson?  America is
more than the sum of her parts - we are really not just many factions sharing
real estate - we are one, a united country that will quickly and easily put
aside all disputes when our oneness is threatened.  I was profoundly moved by
the members of the house and senate standing on the steps of the capital
singing God Bless America.  In a time when real leadership is needed, our
leaders are strengthened and joined by this crisis.  What a shock and an irony
this must be to those behind these attacks who I am sure can not possibly make
sense of such a response, for they live and think another way.

Laurie C.