[HEALTH.MIL] TRICARE Expands Retail Pharmacy Vaccine Program

  • From: HEALTH.MIL Mailing List
  • To: <HEALTH.MIL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:55:12 -0500

TRICARE Expands Retail Pharmacy Vaccine Program
August 22, 2011
No. 11-51

FALLS CHURCH, Va. - TRICARE is expanding the number of preventive vaccines
covered at retail network pharmacies.  Until now, the majority of vaccines were
only covered when obtained through a physician's office.

"Vaccines are a critical part of every family's preventive health program," said
Rear Adm. Christine Hunter, TRICARE Management Activity deputy director. "We are
very pleased to offer this expanded convenience to our beneficiaries and, best
of all, there's no copay."

TRICARE covers age-appropriate vaccines recommended by the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention, including the high-demand shingles vaccine, Zostavax.
Since late 2009, TRICARE has covered seasonal flu, H1N1 flu and pneumococcal
vaccines at retail pharmacies with nearly 300,000 vaccines administered to date.

The expanded program covers immunizations for measles, mumps, shingles and many
other preventable diseases. To see the expanded list of vaccines available from
authorized TRICARE retail pharmacies visit www.tricare.mil/vaccines.

TRICARE officials strongly recommend that beneficiaries check ahead before
making a trip to their pharmacy to make sure it's part of the TRICARE network
and authorized to offer the vaccines. Ensuring that the pharmacy has the needed
vaccine is also advised as some, such as shingles, may be in short supply.

NOTE:  To determine if your pharmacy is part of the TRICARE Network, please
visit
http://www.express-scripts.com/TRICARE/pharmacy/

In addition, while all 50 states and the District of Columbia allow pharmacists
to administer vaccines, individual state laws can restrict which vaccines
pharmacists may administer, or may restrict based on licensing or by age of the
recipient.

Beneficiaries who obtain vaccines through their regular physician do not pay
copayments for preventive care such as immunizations and recommended screenings,
but usual cost shares and copayments for office visits may apply.

"Expanded access to a wide variety of recommended vaccines makes it easier for
beneficiaries to make good health care choices," said Hunter. "Whether we choose
a military clinic or hospital, a retail pharmacy or our regular doctor, getting
immunized is one of the easiest things we can do to help protect the health of
our families and our community."

------
SOURCE:  TRICARE News Release at
http://www.tricare.mil/mediacenter/news.aspx?fid=731

== HEALTH.MIL Mailing List ==

1.  The following options may be used to join\leave this mailing list:

    a.  ONLINE OPTION:  Online subscription\unsubscription options are
available at:

        http://www.hostmtb.org
        http://www.hostmtb.org/hmil.html
        //www.freelists.org/list/health.mil

    b.  E-MAIL OPTION:  Subscription\unsubscription may be performed by sending
an E-Mail message to the following address:

        (1)  To subscribe to this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to
HEALTH.MIL-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' as the subject.

        (2)  To unsubscribe, send an E-Mail message to
HEALTH.MIL-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' as the subject.

2.  If the above subscribe or unsubscribe procedures don't work or if you have
questions, comments, etc., about this mailing list, please contact
Milton.Bell126@xxxxxxxxx