[hcasboard] Fwd: HCAS website email submission: "Urgent: Birds in danger from industrial development at Kerr Scott Reservoir in Wilkes County"

  • From: badgerboy@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: hcasboard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:59:56 -0400

There's a hearing, this coming Monday, on re-zoning about 100 acres of land just upstream from two major recreational and bird sites on Kerr Scott Reservoir, Smithey's Creek Park and Fort Hamby Park.

This site of the proposed development is currently wooded and very close to both parks. The proposed development apparently would pave over more than 75 acres, for a regional fedex hub, and divert two large creeks that feed directly into the reservoir.

This seems like something HCAS might want to have a voice in. What does everyone think about it?

Guy

From: Zophia Rendon <zophia24@xxxxxxxxx>

Message Body:
Hello from a fellow birder in Wilkes County. We have very little time but are doing all we can to fight the clearing of 95 acres of trees and diverting of two creeks in the in the Yadkin Watershed leading to the Kerr Scott Reservoir. FedEx wants to build a 24 hour shipping hub that would cover 70% of the land in concrete and divert/destroy the two creeks on the site. Our pileated, red-bellied, and other woodpeckers among countless other birds will lose homes and habitat forever. Not to mention the intense light and noise pollution that will affect the watershed area and the lake. The hub would have 150 trucks going in and out 24 hours each day, so the traffic, lights and noise also would cause harm to our nocturnal birds living nearby. As our neighbors and friends, please consider helping by becoming involved. The next meeting of the county commissioners/zoning board will be May 2nd at 5:30pm at the Wilkes Heritage Museum.
Please email at zophia24@xxxxxxxxx or call me at 352-219-4113 for more details.

Thank you,

Zophia Rendon, OD

--
This e-mail was sent from the "Email Us" page in the HCAS website
(https://highcountryaudubon.org/contact-us/email-us/)